Knife hobby and our perceptions of materials

there are so many wonderfully designed knives which are oriented toward non hobbyist/budget cutlery consumers. Restricting one's self to a rigid set of parameters when it comes to materials takes so many great knives off the table, and locks one in to a much smaller pool of options. I imagine that can have a limiting effect, and for a hobby, I want it to feel limitless and constantly fascinating. There is a hell of a lot more behind what makes a good knife, than how much vanadium the alloy has in it, or whether the steel is at 64hrc or 59hrc. Knives are tactile things that rely on all sorts of variables which determine how one uses or otherwise enjoys these handy tools

I think it's a plateau that many knife enthusiast will reach at some point during their lives, some will live to repeat it over and over again, myself included. My earliest knife that I remember was a Swedish folder EKA Swede like this one at Knife Center which appears to be discontinued which is a shame as that blade took an exceptionally sharp edge. I was in 10th grade which seems ages ago now and my friends were simply amazed at how sharp it was. I recommend it if you can locate one.

But time moves on and soon I started reading knife magazines and within the covers were ads of the Chris Reeve Sebenza, which seemed the epitome of the knife world in it's simplistic yet spartan appeal of cutting ability tied with a strong lockup, not to mention a Titanium frame lock! It was years later that I was able to save up enough to afford one of those...and then another...and yet another, there seemed to be no stopping that drive. But after many CRK's I moved on but haven't reached into the very upper level of collecting where folks spend upwards to $2,000 and more for a single knife, at my age I doubt that I will see that personally. But if money were no object, it could happen. But to what point?

The OP is taking a step back and looking at life and how it relates to this obsession of knife shaped objects as some truly are museum quality but may not be real world performance type knives.

It's a good thing sometimes to stop, take a breath, regroup and decide where to go from there.
G2

Something must be special about PM2 because among all the folding knives that I have/had, PM2 is the only one that I lost twice - the first time I managed to find it but the second time I ran out of luck. 🤔

I've embraced not needing a super steel, but I'll admit that I occasionally balk at a production knife's price if I feel it uses a 'lesser' steel. I've started to get past that, as two of my absolute favorite steels have become 14c28n and Nitro-V. They're far from super, but they do everything I need and maintaining them takes no time at all, even just stropping on the unfinished leather side of my suspenders will bring them back to hair popping sharp unless I let them get really dull.

It's funny because I'm the four or so years I've been serious in collecting, Ive only ran across one guy that knew anything or cared about knives. I run across a lot of people because of doing HVAC. The guy I'm talking about was a customer and he happened to notice the Medford clip in my pocket I happened to be carrying that day. He had a CRK in his pocket. It was pretty cool talking with him though lol. And Ive met up with three people either buying or selling on here or a FB page that happened to live by me. Majority of folks don't have a clue though.

Way to be honest with yourself! :)
I dont think its a problem unless it bothers you, but it seems like it is starting to. So change it. 👍
Also 90% of people would judge you for having such a fancy knife when a budk ninja special would do the same job for 10 bucks. Just the world we live in. Lol No one will look down their nose at s30v and g10 in the real world.

I use to be on the super steel crazy train before I jumped off. I am less concerned with handle material but there's handle materials I won't buy such as carbon fiber and titanium. I'm more than ok with G10. Steel as long as it's not on the super low end of the spectrum for performance sake, (im ok with 8cr13mov), also no goofy colors.
By its definition its a tool and a weapon and I don't need to decorate it that much

I tend to find myself deep into fanatical, low incremental return for the dollar territory with hobbies. Honestly, that's when it gets real fun. This sport has lots of opportunities with both practical function and esthetic aspects at play.

I've found knives to elicit an almost primal jealousy response from guys that appreciate it but aren't in the tall weeds as a hobbyists. I've all but stopped sharing new acquisitions with those around me for the most part.

Embarrassingly, even look around to see who is in sight before taking them out to use occasionally. As this will inevitably end up with them asking questions to show interest, then walking away rolling their eyes afyer hearing about why it's a special piece to me.

It seems they tend to default to whispers and judgment about what I choose to do with my money and effort. Rather bizarre how folks justify this to protect their own ego's. As if demeaning others personal choices, puts them on the high road.

We just can't share our passion without being labeled as a show off. No matter how many times I explain that it's a tool, whether it costs a dollor or a million, all that matters is that it does what you need, and you feel it's worth it.

For me, this is the only bright spot outside of my Father, Wife and Sons. Here, people understand the sickness and seem to have a level of respect that the genpub doesn't. Trying to show off in these circles would certainly only humble most of us.

All these words to say, I really appreciate this place and all of you knife folks.
Some of my wife's cousins are sneaker heads. I was standing in the circle when the conversation turned to shoes, and after they got a little ways off into the weeds with sneaker jargon that was way over my head, one of them turned to me and said "you must think we are weird lol" I said nope, I'm the same way, just with knives and guns 😁

I dove off the deep in when I first came to the forums in Sept 2017, many knives that I would never carry. I finally left in July of 2018, pretty much letting everything go except for the first knife I started with when I started the forums, a Kershaw Leek with 14c148n that I found on the side of the road.

Now, I'm back again and trying to not go so deep into it. Still have the leek, (and actually found another leek) still carry it at work for boxes/tapes, etc but I've picked up a couple more knives, 10 total now, different steels and yes, I've gotten stuck on the steel thing also but I recently picked up d2 which I would and still do kind of, stick my nose up at it but I'm going to carry, use and sharpen it. My plan is to rotate all the knives I have, not letting any setting on a shelf for too long, using them, sharpening them and not going to overboard on prices.

I've looked a few times at the fairly extravagant in price and shape, my first though would be "would I use them, carry them". I'm trying to keep myself on that principle "would I use them, carry them" and honestly, I think 10 is more than enough.

Some of my wife's cousins are sneaker heads. I was standing in the circle when the conversation turned to shoes, and after they got a little ways off into the weeds with sneaker jargon that was way over my head, one of them turned to me and said "you must think we are weird lol" I said nope, I'm the same way, just with knives and guns 😁

We each get one ticket to ride this rock. Respect to anyone that does it their way. :)

A good remedy to get off the super steel spider web and fly away is to use a swiss army knife and that's it for at least a month its humbling and you'll see that the knife steel they use and ht is amazing
This isnt a push for victorinox but it's a way to help realize you don't need to look at 20CV, 204p, S35VN, S45VN, AEB-L , elmax and freak out 👌

I don't want to look like "the rich guy who never had to work for things", which I'm not
I think we are living in the golden age of knives. There are so many knives on the market now for well under $100, that would have cost well over $100 just 10 years ago.

I look at it this way: I work my ass off to earn my paycheck. Knives are my hobby, and if I want to spend my money on the best that I can afford, I’m going to, and with no regrets.

I don’t have any friends that are in to knives, and they couldn’t care less about my knives. I just do this for myself, because it makes me happy.

I appreciate all the responses so far. I think im going to buy a base model knife (not sure of manufacturer yet) and force myself to carry it daily. I think that's the remedy to my snotty disposition towards knives. I dont want this hobby to die for me. Too many great people and too much to look forward to.

I appreciate all the responses so far. I think im going to buy a base model knife (not sure of manufacturer yet) and force myself to carry it daily. I think that's the remedy to my snotty disposition towards knives. I dont want this hobby to die for me. Too many great people and too much to look forward to.

Another approach is to give knives as gifts. That keeps me shopping, learning and appreciating everything from $30-$250, for sure. No matter the budget, finding the best for the dollar is a thrill. :)

Another approach is to give knives as gifts. That keeps me shopping, learning and appreciating everything from $30-$250, for sure. No matter the budget, finding the best for the dollar is a thrill. :)
I am going to be gifting a friend a knife soon. I am recovering from gallbladder surgery and he and his wife have made food for us. So I'll be buying him a damascus civivi as a thank you.

I think we are living in the golden age of knives. There are so many knives on the market now for well under $100, that would have cost well over $100 just 10 years ago.

I look at it this way: I work my ass off to earn my paycheck. Knives are my hobby, and if I want to spend my money on the best that I can afford, I’m going to, and with no regrets.

I don’t have any friends that are in to knives, and they couldn’t care less about my knives. I just do this for myself, because it makes me happy.
And not only that, in terms of fit and finish and consistency of QC they would beat the pants off their most fair comparisons of ten years ago too.

I believe the grand majority of people here don't actually [need] a super steel to perform the various tasks and jobs they encounter in their day to day --- id wager most people can get by fine with AUS-8-10, VG10 or 12C27-14C28N. you'll never hear someone say
"damn, if only I had a knife in S45VN, then I'd have been able to perform that task", or
"He would have lived if he used a knife in Elmax over 8cr13mov"
Mankind got along fine for thousands of years with simple carbon steel and wood handles

Back