Knife is not a self defence weapon

I know a CHL Instructor in Texas who is also a P.I., among other things...Professionally. As far as I know, all Telescoping Batons, blackjacks/saps in any form...would be illegal even on the Texas CHL. The exemption exists for Law Enforcement and certain Security Personnel who are Qualified on them.

As for strikes to the head with any Impact Weapon, historically, most people in fistfights that are killed in Hand to Hand Combat in the street are killed by hitting the ground with their head when they are knocked to the ground or knocked unconscious and knocked to the ground.

The temple is not a mystical striking point and there are alot of myths surrounding the temple. It is not that the skull is thinner there, it is flat, like the area below the occipital area on the back of the skull. The occipital area is a bone protrusion on the back of the skull in line with the spine, right below that and to the sides, above and behind the ear, these are the flats along with the temple. They are more lethal because there is no curvature there to spread the force of the strike out. You get more shock directly transferred to the brain by striking the flats and any substantial strike in these areas carries with it the possibility of death.

A trachea shot with a baton, the end or length of the baton, anything you would consider substantial in power, could be fatal due to crushing the trachea. If the baton, etc,. landed to the right or left of the trachea proper, the Carotid Arteries could be damaged along with the Vagus Nerve and other nerves that have their path inside the Carotid Sheath. Some of the nerves that control the heart and diaphragm run the length of the Carotid Sheath. All bad things to take a shocking or crushing hit.

When the pulse passes through the Carotid Arteries, the vessel is almost flat, like a piece of tape, then the next pulse comes through.

If the Carotid is struck when it is full of blood, engorged, it can split, or, the shock could more easily transferred to the other vital structures in there...there is no way to time it, but depending on when the edge of hand strike, baton, etc...lands...it could be fatal in one instance and a split second later...not fatal and just have a stunning effect.

All of these things, along with the inherent fragility of the spine, is why you see most strikes to the head and neck area considered to be vital targets that could lead to a fatality.

Some "people," ASP being one, extend that to the collarbones. The clavicle when broken, can pierce the subclavian artery and/or vein on either side.

Originally posted by Don Rearic
As for strikes to the head with any Impact Weapon, historically, most people in fistfights that are killed in Hand to Hand Combat in the street are killed by hitting the ground with their head when they are knocked to the ground or knocked unconscious and knocked to the ground.

The temple is not a mystical striking point and there are alot of myths surrounding the temple. It is not that the skull is thinner there, it is flat, like the area below the occipital area on the back of the skull. The occipital area is a bone protrusion on the back of the skull in line with the spine, right below that and to the sides, above and behind the ear, these are the flats along with the temple. They are more lethal because there is no curvature there to spread the force of the strike out. You get more shock directly transferred to the brain by striking the flats and any substantial strike in these areas carries with it the possibility of death.

There was a case in here in FL not to long ago; at a highschool football game one kid in the audience suckerpunched another kid in the temple, killing him. The assailant was a boxer. One focused power blow to the temple caused death.

There are 3 phases to any blunt head trauma: 1. Point of impact where weapon/implement meets the head (skin & bone damage). 2. Shock of impact as transferred to the brain in the cranial cavity (brain/neural damage). 3. Shock to the vertebrae (whiplash/spine damage).

Survivor,
<b>"Ok first I don’t go killing people every time the law justify's it, if I kill some one it will be because I justified it to myself."</b>

And it's very possible that while you're busy "justifying" things to yourself, that drunken knife wielder is going to gut you like a fish.

If someone, ANY one, drunk, kid, pregnant nun, ANYONE attacks me with a knife, I'm going to assume they're the deadliest SOB with a knife this world has ever seen and I'm going to do my best to put them down hard and fast. If they die, tough shyte. If they live, they got lucky.

As to whether the knife is a self defense weapon or not, here's the facts.

1. Knives can be used as weapons.

2. Knives have been used millions of times throughout history by people who were defending themselves.

3. The knife is an excellent self defense weapon.

Why do some people choose to carry a knife rather than a baton? In many locations, concealed carry of a baton will land you in jail, yet carrying a knife is permitted.

As for myself, my knives are not my primary weapon and if I am forced to resort to them, things have gone south in a big way. No, that drunken idiot with a knife probably isn't going to get cut by me, he's probably going to get shot. And, until he drops the knife, turns and runs, or falls down and lays there, he's going to keep getting shot.

I don't want to be a "survivor." I'd rather be a "Victor."
;)

I am not religious, but I PRAY alot. If some drunk is flashing a knife, I will give fair warning IF TIME ALLOWS. If not I will NOT KILL ANYONE. What I will do is NEUTRALIZE the threat by firing a handgun, PRAYING that I hit as TRAINED....High center Mass, eye socket. If the DRUNK is still standing with the knife, I SHALL repeat. Then when the THREAT is NEUTRALIZED, I go HOME and PRAY, the DRUNK goes to HELL........wolfmann601

I would agree with macyoung. The ultimate weapon is the brain, and not the top part but the part at the back--the cerebellum. No amount of knowledge is useful if it is not backed by muscle-memory, which only comes from repeating the action thousands of times.

All weapons have their limitations. If you want true self-defense, you must learn many, including available weapons like pens, credit cards, walking sticks, umbrellas, books, rocks, pool cues, and bare hands.

Back