Knife kit - micarta question

I got this kit for Christmas, and I can't really call it a knife making kit, more of a putting a knife together kit. That said, it is my first foray into anything like this. My question has to do with the micarta handle. I have read a number of threads here about what to use to cut and trim, but those all seemed to address bulk amounts.

The limited instructions say after epoxy and pinning, to rasp, file and sand everything not in contact with the tang. Is there a quicker/better way to do that, (I only have carpentry tools to work with) or should I just take the extra time and do it as they suggest?

gMwPH8W.jpg

Looking at the picture, you can hack saw or bandsaw the excess from the end. Next I would use a rasp, but stop before you get close to the final dimension as it will leave deep scratches. It looks like you will finish with various grits of sandpaper. I don't see how you can really avoid having to sand it flush to the tang and bolster and lightly sanding those as well. I would glue it up, getting a good fit, then do the final sanding.

I suggest using your hand tools and a little elbow grease. You can use a hacksaw to trim excess micarta around the handle and file the rest until it is even. Grab a block of wood, wrap it in course sandpaper, something like 80 grit and sand the handle down until it fits your hand comfortably.

Take a pencil and mark the outline of tang on material and saw the excess off first then glue.

THE FIRST THING TO DO IS TAPE THE BLADE UP WITH THREE LAYERS ON THE EDGE AND A GOOD LAYER OVER ALL THE BEVELS.

As said, you can trim the Micarta down with a saw to be a closer fit. However, a woodworking belt sander will remove the excess and shape the handle nicely. Best way would be to grind the excess off until the tang was just visible. Grind the sides until they are just proud of the bolster. Then switch to hand sanding with the paper wrapped around a block of hardwood. Sand to 400-600 grit and buff with a soft cloth and hard pressure.

With a belt sander, you can set it up like a stationary machine. Turn it upside-down & clamp it to the bench (wood block clamp), then use the flat & nose wheel to do your work. Use a good quality coarse belt to do the initial shaping, then work to the finer grits. If you scribe a line in the micarta, stay away from the line! Leave a couple hundredths to work with & then file or block & sand paper the work against the metal, but be careful! I started out with a 1" bench model "Horrid Freight" belt sander & it worked well enough.

You are starting on a slippery slope! Enjoy the ride...

I guess I will try the belt sander very carefully and see how it goes. If I'm not comfortable, I go back to the aforementioned elbow grease.

Is an N95 mask sufficient for working with micarta?

I work in a garage with open door and wear a mask, clean up after etc. Hand sanding with coarse grit won't throw up too much dust, but a grinder with finer grit might leave some hanging. I wouldn't do it in the house. I suggest reading some of the sticky notes in this forum and then deciding what you are comfortable with.

I guess I will try the belt sander very carefully and see how it goes. If I'm not comfortable, I go back to the aforementioned elbow grease.

Is an N95 mask sufficient for working with micarta?
Cut this with hack saw for metal then glue scale .....one coarse flat file for metal ,one fine flat file , one round file and in 10 minutes you will done 90% of job .Finish with sandpaper ...
uG2EZmE.jpg

Cut your micarta like Natlek says and then flip your belt sander upside down and clamp it to a table. Then grind off the excess down to the tang and start shaping with a rasp.

Back