Knife Laws in Canada?

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the world of high-end knives. I've been into flashlights and other gizmos and now making my way into the knife world.
I've always carried a knife on me, but just your regular $40 folder. I've carried an "assisted opening" knife for a while, but have stopped due to fear of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and getting in trouble with the law.

I live in Toronto, Canada. Here weapons laws are very strict; guns are a definite no-no, and anything hidden seems to be a "concealed weapon".

As far as I know (everyone tells it differently, even cops) you can carry a sword if you want, as long as it's not concealed! But a box cutter in your pocket, or even a swiss-army knife is a concealed weapon.

Can anyone explain to me specifically what the laws are here in regards to knife carry? concealed and otherwise.

Thanks!

(a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife

hmm.... so does that mean that assisted openers are legal? since the pressure is applied to the blade to open it?

yes as far as i know they are legal i have seen them sold in store across canada so long as you are not using it in a manner that causes the cop to look at you in a suspicious manner you should have no problems

Lee Brooks

BROOKSKNIVES.canada

brooksknives@shaw.ca

A police officer i asked today told me that it cannot be concelled. What it means is that it cannot be hidden in your socks etc but it is allowed to be in your sheath. And when you remove the knife from the sheath, it is considered a threat to the public.

Back