Knife Laws in China?

Hello there. I am currently in China and want a knife, but didn't know the specific knife laws. On Baidu, it says that "spring knives" that have a locking mechanism are prohibited. Does this mean that all knives with locking mechanisms are prohibited, or does it mean that only assisted opening knives with locking mechanisms are prohibited? Is it okay to buy a small Benchmade? Are butterfly knives or fixed blades okay? Thank you!

Last edited:
Any sort of knives are illegal in China, no matter where you go They are illegal. Get yourself a box cutter.:)

The knife stores in China sell pocket knives along with culinary knives.

Hello there. I am currently in China and want a knife, but didn't know the specific knife laws. On Baidu, it says that "spring knives" that have a locking mechanism are prohibited. Does this mean that all knives with locking mechanisms are prohibited, or does it mean that only assisted opening knives with locking mechanisms are prohibited? Is it okay to buy a small Benchmade? Are butterfly knives or fixed blades okay? Thank you!

"Spring knives" are traditional automatic knives AKA switchblades and assisted-opening knives. Whether you push a button on the handle or a thumb stud on the blade, if there is a spring that helps deploy the blade, it is a "spring knife" and it is considered a weapon.

Pocket knives with locking blades may or may not be tolerated, depending on where you are in China and what is happening there. They were not tolerated in Beijing during the 2008 Summer Olympics. Go to the Vanguard hypermarket or supermarket closest to where you live and see what kind of knives they're selling. If you don't live near a Vanguard store, go to the closest street market.

Well, for what it's worth, I've been to the Victorinox shop at HuaiHai Rd, Shanghai, and have seen full displays of their Swiss Army Knives collection including their locking versions too. So, at least those should be ok, since they are publicly and openly displayed for sale.

I was in Hong Kong last year and bought a Lion Steel Kur, the chap in the shop explained that it was fine to carry for length and lock, and because it had no spring assist. Not sure what the rules are on the Main Land. I would not carry anything I wasn't prepared to lose. I cannot think of why one would need a fixed blade, unless you were backpack camping, in which case the knife could be in the pack. China is a lot safer than the US as far as street crime goes. I would be more worried about getting into trouble with the law than I would be about needing a knife for defense.

It is worth knowing, that (most?) trains in China have airport level security, without the option to "check" baggage. A friend travelling over the border (Shenzen) had knives and saws in his pack and had to hire a courier to carry his bag to his destination while he rode the train!

Back