Knife laws in Finland

Hi guys, I need a little help from you!
I’m planning a short trek in Finland and I’d like to know something about local laws on knives (types, blade length, way of carrying, etc.).
Thanks a lot in advance!

We have a Knife Laws forum. I will move this there from the General Knife Discussion.

Earlier there was a specific law about edged weapons, however that was replaced in 2003 with Public Order Law (my translation, originally Järjestyslaki).

Text is mostly clear: possession of edged weapons, capable of being used to slash or stab and other items that can be used for harming others is prohibited in public places, unless they are needed for work or there is some other acceptable reason. "Public place" means street, sidewalk, park, marketplace, sports ground, buildings, offices, public transport, restaurant etc.

So in short: no knives in urban and populated areas. Legally, it doesn't matter what type or what blade length even though many people are under the impression that there is a mention of acceptable blade length.

Penalty for possession is normally a fine and confiscation of item.

Thanks Frankki,
but does that mean I neither can keep a SAK in my baggage when I’m in a public place? If so, it means no knife at all!

Well, the law as it is written is kind of strict and harsh. In reality the police do not stop and search people who aren't causing trouble, being drunk and disorderly and such. Police can and do use common sense and discretion. It's pretty clear that they do not have the interest, time or resources, for example, to go around confiscating people's Leatherman tools and keyring SAKs which by the definition of the law can be used for harming others. But if someone is drunk, looking for trouble and causing disturbance and the cops come to collect him away, it would be incriminating for that person to be in possession of an edged weapon.

As another example, the same law prohibits public drinking that causes disturbance. However, police will allow people to have a picnic and drink wine in the park as long as they act tidily and don't make trouble. I have many times had a knife with me on a picnic because I'm not going to slice bread and cheese with a fork. Technically I may have broken the law but in reality I have not been worried about it one bit.

But I cannot really give you actual advice, sorry. I am neither a police officer or a lawyer, and am not qualified to give legal advice.

Back