Knife laws in Wisconsin.

Hi I live in Southern California. I want to give my brother who lives in Wisconsin a pocket knife for his birthday. I want to give him either a ZT0300 or a Spyderco Manix. Are assisted openers legal to carry in Wisconsin?

How about laws about length, are these knives too long for Wisconsin?

I don't want to ask him or I might tip him off. I really want to give him the ZT300 but I don't want him to get in any trouble. I also have a foliage green Manix. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

There is no state law in Wisconsin banning assisted openers, but local laws may cause make them illegal. For concealed carry, the blade length must generally be 3 inches or less. In most cases, nobody really cares if you have a blade that's 4-5 inches.

Are assisted knives popular ? I live in Madison, Wisconsin, and I've never seen an AO in my life.

The only municipality in WI with a blade length restriction is the city of Milwaukee, which has a local ordinance stating that any knife with a blade length of 3" or greater is a dangerous weapon and cannot be carried.

There are no blade length laws in WI, and no laws against AOs. I often carry a Leek or a Tyrade.

Just tell him to use common sense and don't be a dumb about waving knives around. The urban areas in WI can be a little touchy, but the smaller towns and rural areas have a strong hunt/farming background.

Pretty much if the blade is 3.5" or under it can be in your pocket if more then outside is prefered, that is what my dad told me (he is a retired madison cop). I have AO's and I carry them around all the time (I'm from the Madison area and now in Waukesha) and there are no problems. Basically as long as you use common sence and don't deploy them in a bank or dept store with a ton of people around its fine.

Back