1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knife maintenance

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by RickyBobby, Oct 5, 2018.

1. RickyBobby

RickyBobby

May 3, 2018
    Curious to see what you all use to maintain and tune your knives aside from sharpeners.
    Tools, polishing compounds, lubricants and lubricant applicators etc..
    I have a small set of Wiha torx bits I pair to a generic driver, gun cleaning solutions and lube.

2. marcinek

marcinek Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Mineral oil.

Pants leg.

3. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Credit goes to member Bluesbender for teaching me this but you can clean your knife pivot out without disassembling the knife by spraying zippo lighter fluid through the pivot, letting it all evaporate and then reapplying oil.

htmn2054 likes this.
  4. RickyBobby

RickyBobby

May 3, 2018
    Well done.
    I appreciate the minimalistic approach.

5. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Mine isn't exactly minimalist-slew of different oils/grease (including mineral) and rust preventatives, flitz, tool kit-with pretty much every needed bit, Teflon tape, cotton swabs and rags and spare parts. I am covered for pretty much what comes up and how I choose to handle it. If it can't be done with this group, it needs to go back to the mother ship.

6. RickyBobby

RickyBobby

May 3, 2018
    Have not heard of this method. No known negative effect to handle material such as FRN?

7. Winch

Winch Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 29, 2018
    A Kershaw torx set, BM Blue Lube, can of compressed air, paper towels. I may try some CLP.

8. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Its fine to use on frn or knives with plastic parts. Teflon washers are fine too.

9. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps

Apr 20, 2018
    I wish I could keep things so simple. My supplies are much more complicated. For example...

This morning I was helping put away groceries when I saw some dust-covered flavored water bottles out in the mud room. Are these any good I inquired of the wife. Negatory was her response. Awful tasting or some such she she added. So when the sundries were well and properly stored, I hauled the 1 liter bottles outside.

Now, I could've taken the time to unscrew each bottle but that would be silly. I am, after all, a knife aficionado. :cool: So I reached into my flannel jammies pocket and fished out the Spyderco Manix 2 LW in BD1 that I'd earlier been using to break down cardboard. Yessir, a quick stab and then a deft slice should have the tops of these bottles off in no time!

It took my brain what seemed like a few seconds to understand what was happening to me. My eyes were squeezed tightly shut, I couldn't breathe properly, I'd recoiled from the sudden impact...

See, what I hadn't noticed was that these old, dusty, awful tasting beverages were carbonated. I gave that first bottle a stab and it sprayed me straight in the face and then down my arm and soaked my entire knife in surgary H2O. Well Hell!

And no, no I did not give up or concede defeat to the vile thirst quenchers. No, I persevered with an almost maniacal laughter. Bottle after bottle, spray after spray until alas I stood drenched and chuckling with a pile of mostly empty bottles scattered about the yellowing-fall grass. I win!

But my knife??? :oops:

No my friend, mineral oil and pants leg was not going to fix this problem. This called for... Soap and water!!! :eek:

So yeah. Sometimes I use a paper towel too.

:D

Chris "Anagarika" and WValtakis like this.
  10. RickyBobby

RickyBobby

May 3, 2018
    Very amusing anecdote, not to take away from the knowledge you shared.
    This is why I decided to join BF.
    Soap and water, you are right of course, the Manix pocket clip comes ready OTB for tip up RH carry and the LW iteration scales cannot be taken apart, keeping maintenance to a minimum and limiting the need for tinkering implements or potential for embellishment.
    Thank you sir

Eli Chaps likes this.
  11. bgentry

bgentry

Aug 3, 2009
    Mr. Chaps,

I actually laughed out loud reading your story. Partially because it's ridiculous and silly. Partially because it hits so close to home. Partly because a grown man was outside in wet PJs. Overall a great story. Thank you!

Brian.

Chris "Anagarika" and Eli Chaps like this.
  12. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz

Aug 15, 2016
    I was just about to create a thread like this. Here is my list.

1. A vice with rubber/plastic jaws. Sometimes you need a third hand.
    2. Sandpaper. Multiple grits. 220, 340, 400, 600, 800, 1500, 2000 is what I have in stock.
    3. Magnetic bowl. Tiny screws love to get lost.
    4. Paper towels, paper towels & more paper towels.
    5. Mini screw driver set with multiple different bits.
    6. Tweezers.
    7. Magnifier. Illuminated magnifier lamp or head magnifier.
    8. Light, light, light. I have an adjustable lamp & under cabinet LEDs.
    9. Scissors. I use cable technician snips. The kind that can cut pennies in half.
    10. Oil & grease. I use a good firearm brand for both.
    11. Syringes that have small metal tubes on the ends instead of needles. A little dab will do ya.
    12. Acetone or fingernail polish remover. Acetone smells better IMO.
    13. Rubbing alcohol
    14. A large mouse pad/firearm maintenance pad. I use a microfiber towel. After the job, it gets washed.
    15. A few microfiber towels.
    16. Toothpicks.
    17. Q-tips & cotton balls.
    18. Razor blades.
    19. WD40/Ballistol. Both work great. Both smell good...again IMO.
    20. Loctite (blue)
    21. Old pill bottles (free) or small containers for those screws that have a deep passion for getting lost.
    22. Needle nose pliers (small to medium sized)
    23. Cutting dykes (small to medium sized)
    24. Small brass brush
    25. Jewelers hammer
    26. An assortment of small/medium files
    27. Permanent markers
    28. Sharpener. Stones or kit.
    29. Painters tape
    30. A shop vac. Do not use your wifes' vacuum! Trust me.
    31. Latex or equivalent gloves.
    32. Machinist calipers
    33. Last but not least, medical supplies. Bandaids, gauze, peroxide...etc. Ya never know when the things you love bite.

13. lonestar1979

lonestar1979

Mar 2, 2014
    Mineral oil,some torx screwdriver ,couple sharpening stones,piece of leather and sharpmaker.

RickyBobby likes this.