Knife making steel Type

Now that my grinder appears to work I am searching out information as to what steel you guys are using to make a good working camp knife. Drop point with a heavy blade (3/16"), maybe 7-8 inches. To use for slitting and other tasks around a deep woods camp. I bought some 1095 and made a couple small knives to see if I could turn out something that resembled a knife. The one cracked upon quenching and the other may be useable. I read that 1095 can be a bugger to harden and temper.

To use for slitting and other tasks around a deep woods camp.

Damn, for some reason this feels like you are a serial killer or Rambo. Anyhow, 1095 is just fine for a camp knife, what seem to be the problem is the heat treatment. In which case I am gonna guess that the best option would be easy steel like 80CrV2 / 1084. Probably the easiest steels to heat treat.

Me a serial killer? Rambo far from it. No I just been watching SHTF videos. The ones intended to get your panties in a bunch. I don't like huge knives other than to have in my little camper trailer, for heavy duty tasks. My knife that I cleaned many a deer and other critters with, is about a 4 inch small blade hunting knife I bought many years ago. I retired it along with my hunting desires and for most of my knife needs, a little neck knife would be adequate around a camp site or woods wondering. Besides this one and only big chopper knife, I just will play with making interesting shaped small blades. I'm learning and having fun with it. The tempering part is a learning thing that goes with this hobby

If you are getting your steel from Aldo the 80CrV2 has to be normalized before hardening and that's a pain when you are just starting out with a forge. The 1084 is the classic starter steel and is great for larger knives. If you are going to do anything for the kitchen I think the 15n20 is MUCH better since the nickel gives it some rust resistance. I have also found it almost easier than 1084 to heat treat. That is new 15n20 from Aldo. If you are using recycled materials they may come partially hard and be a pain to drill. The only downside to 15n20 is it only come in thin stock. It would still be my first choice for a beginner steel on any small knife. This is just my 2 cents as a fellow beginner.

15N20 comes up to .130" from Aldo. That is more than thick enough.
Currently, he is out of stock, but a call may get some or even some thicker stock. IIRC, he had some .195" thick once.

Last edited:
What did you quench in? Parks 50/DT-48 are what are recommended for 1095 and other shallow hardening steels. If you quenched in water or brine, you are going to eventually get cracks, even with interrupted quenches.

8670 is quite forgiving in heat treat. You will get a very serviceable blade anywhere from 1475 to 1600f. Optimum is 1525f.

Back