Knife Making

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes.
I would like to learn how to make knives. Being in Canada it would be nice if there was a place fairly close by that I could go.
The ABS courses would be great but I think possibly out of the range that I would be able to afford.
If anyone has any sudjestions it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks everyone.

Keith.

Hi there
There's a wealth of custom makers in your area, and while I don't want to speak for them, I'm pretty sure at least one of them wouldn't mind talking shop with you. Check out www.ckg.org and follow the links to see some of their work, and/or post this same topic over in Canadian Connection and see who comes crawling out of the wood - err, steel - work.

------------------
Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!
JRR Tolkien

The annual Knives books have a extensive directory of current knifemakers plus a lot of good reading.

I've seen the books for sale at AG Russell's, but you may be able to buy them from any big book retailer in Canada. The link is: http://www.agrknives.com/gifts/bk2000.html

Some very talented craftsmen in Canada for sure, including one of my favourites, Greg Lightfoot.

Red

------------------
"Praise not the day until evening has come;a sword until it is tried; ice until it has been crossed; beer until it has been drunk" - Viking proverb

Hello Keith! Its Crayola, the SOLE Lethbridge Forumite!!! Go to your locak House of Tools. they sell knife making stuff and run courses, and they should be able to hook you up with some Edmonton knife makers.

I will warn you though, knife making does strange things to you. I was in the House of Tools last year getting some black canvas Micarta for handle material for a knife I designed and while I was in the line at the till, I thought to my self, "hmm... I am paying $15 for a piece of plastic!" and it didn't even bother me!

------------------
"Come What May..."

I would like to thank everyone for your help. If anyone else has any ideas feel free to pass them along.

Keith.

Check out the "Shop Talk" forum here. It's a great place to start. My web site has a very little info on the subject, but I'm real new to it. Most I learned from this forum and others.

Mike

------------------
My Home Page
Hey! I'm a One Stop Knife Shop Associate!

Hey if any of you guys havent been to a great web site latley check out mikes.If you like the outdoors better than just about every thing and dont remember how to notch the sticks for a fig.4 box trap youll enjoy his site. great site mike mazzzz3
smile.gif
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Michael Bennett:
Check out the "Shop Talk" forum here. It's a great place to start. My web site has a very little info on the subject, but I'm real new to it. Most I learned from this forum and others.

Mike

</font>

Mazzzz3,

Yer makin' me blush! 8)

Feedback is welcomed on the site. I add to it when I can and am always looking for suggestions for making it better.

Mike

Keith,

Please go to a show where there are ABS MS showing their knives. The knowledge they have at the forge is worth the price of the class. Just go to the ABS site and look at their list of knifemakers and meet some of them. They want to sell knives, but also teach the art too.

Jeff

You guys have been great. The first thing I think that I am going to do is make contact
with some local knife makers and then go from there. I have had one very kind offer from a knife maker that I admire very much and think that at some point I would like to take him up on that offer.

Keith.

Back