Knife Mods?

Kw4

What are some mods you do to your knives? Please leave pictures.

Adding guard to production knives isn’t something I see people doing, (probably for a reason) but this along with changing handles is what I did to my Snody Big Boss.DDF17686-0F61-49A0-A208-FBDCE60CE2F2.jpeg

Reactions: Kw4
Zip tie wave mod
zip-tie-wave-1024x576.jpg

What are some mods you do to your knives? Please leave pictures.
There are a ton of threads here with this but I'm not above posting my Frankenknives yet again.

Everything from removing the spay blade from my Case Trappers. The second blade messes with my grip; I prefer these Trappers single bladed.
IMG_4180.jpg

To cutting blades in half or even shorter.
I was carrying and using this one today and just having the best time. This thing is killer useful for me as a precision work knife. Short blade + largish handle = high level of control and a delightful knife experience FOR ME.
This is a Cold Steel Ti Lite IV with the blade cut in half, thinned to about 1.9mm and full flat ground. The handle is the basic inexpensive material (rather than the aluminum scales) but it is nice and light (surprisingly light) and I just love using this thing.
IMG_4353.jpg
I mean just look at how it fits in my hand. Nice full thick handle. Good stuff !
IMG_4369.JPG

Then sometimes I totally loose it and . . . .
See the black knife second from top . . .
I cut the handle off a fixed blade that I liked and put the handle (made into scales) onto that poor skinny little knife.
IMG_4179.JPG

Second knife down here
IMG_5092.JPG
IMG_5318.JPG

This gives you an idea how thin the handle was before the thicker scales were added. This is actually the full Titanium handled Urban Trapper and the knife I used was the liner lock Urban Trapper with screwed on G-10 scales which is even thinner. She's not thin any more !
I'm addicted to those full sumptuous curves ! ;) and it is still a VERY light knife.
IMG_5319.JPG

And finally, at the drop of a hat, I have been known to buy a knife I like and grind the blade thinner by half. Think Cold Steel Pendleton Hunter in 3V ground from 5mm at the spine to 2.2mm . . . full flat.
Much thinner behind the edge as well.
= HEAVEN !
OK two more photos
Before (that's a 5mm allen wrench for perspective)
IMG_3783.jpg

After
IMG_3879.jpg
Side view of HEAVEN
IMG_3916.jpg

Last edited:
20180718_143639.jpg

20180716_061519.jpg

Old Hickory 7" butcher, the cutting edge was ate up with corrosion and the handle was trashed due to water damage. So i trimmed the bad section off and replaced what was left of the hickory handle with a slab of red oak that I split off a chunk of firewood. Turned out ok, but I'm designing a new handle for it and maybe it will feel better in the hands.

2_B1947_E5_7815_439_C_AF5_A_AE8_E171671_ED.jpg

78_C3945_D_8_A0_E_43_CF_BCB1_AC342004_D686.jpg

D18_C106_F_AD70_4111_8_C16_6299_D3_BFE4_A8.jpg

As you can see I usually modify the handles. Either I stipple or texture them. In the case of the F1 Pro, I completely rehandled the knife. I also tend to polish them with my initial sharpening.

This was my desert tan emerson roadhouse. Handles kept getting too dirty. Rit dye dark brown. Maybe too dark, looks black in the pic
j95e3IZ.jpg

Back