Knife Names??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, you want Sheeple friendly names. Hmmm....

* Eco Defender
* Carbon Captor
* Peacifier

lol...

I have a tough time coming up with names, I don't really like the idea of anything that tries to "make a statement" name wise for my knives.

In the past I have held contests and let customers name their knives but now I just go with basic descriptions unless I am really inspired with a name. My "Legal EDC" is a good example, lol it is a edc oriented knife that is legal to carry in most states. I also have the "Titanium Bottle Opener Knife" it is Ti and opens bottles as well as being a knife. I have the "D2 Keychain Tool" which is D2 and a tool that fits on a keychain. :p OK maybe I am not so great with names... :D

I'm not in the business of selling knives yet, but as a buyer I tend to prefer knives that are simply descriptive.. D2 Keychain Tool is quite fine for me! It really comes down to the product quality for me to purchase something, but if it has a really ridiculous name I might just pass over it and not even look. As far as websites go, high quality pictures (without having to click links or change pages) is a great selling point, as I can browse without expending time and effort. In that case, name it whatever you like, as long as I can see the knife itself, I might not pass over what I otherwise would.

Herein lies the rub... everyone has a different notion about what a name is supposed to do. Making blanket statements like "people won't like that name" is just silly. If you want to give your product a catchy name, go for it. Some will like it, some won't... regardless of how sheeple friendly it is, how descriptive, how simple... doesn't matter.

Have a little fun. Let your freak flag fly.

One day I would really like to see one named Mack The Knife.:D

Herein lies the rub... everyone has a different notion about what a name is supposed to do. Making blanket statements like "people won't like that name" is just silly. If you want to give your product a catchy name, go for it. Some will like it, some won't... regardless of how sheeple friendly it is, how descriptive, how simple... doesn't matter.

Have a little fun. Let your freak flag fly.

Agreed Greg.. I suppose what I mean to say with my rambling was that the name is only part of the presentation, and not necessarily the most important part.

I always like to name my knives (and flashlights, machetes and other things). The way I usually name them is by finding cool sounding names that have a particular meaning...(so I'm constantly looking on the sites that have every kind of name and their meaning). But then again I have other ways I name my knives.
I named my Becker BK-9 "Valerie" because it means such things like "strong", "powerful", and most of all, "Fierce".
My Becker BK-13 Remora is named "Courtney" because I read somewhere that it means "Short Nose"...which the BK-13 is kind of short and stubby.
I have a multitool named "Bridget", which means "strong".
....and even though it's not a knife, I named my Fenix TK-22 flashlight "Bertha Helen"...."bright torch of light".

I'm still trying to figure out what to name my four machetes and my Western L66 hunting knife. The L66 I want to name some kind of ancient Celtic or Greek hunting-ish name.

You just got to get jiggy with it....I had a knife named Slayer Of Darkness..I thought it was purdy cool...some laffed

Back when we sold alot of knives, depended on the customer base and venue. Craft fair, Buckskinner show, etc.
Normally it was stupid things like "Slayer", "Blood letter", "O.J." Etc.
Dunno if it increased sales volume, but sure help justify high prices.
If you want to make money at knives, its all about the paintjob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back