Knife needed for EMS work.

I need a new knife! Or a small tool that I can comfortably carry in my pocket and can do a few things for me at work. Specifically I need one with a good strong, sharp blade, preferably serrated that holds a good edge. Now this is the hard part, I also need one with an oxygen wrench or a few tools, one of which could function as an oxygen wrench. I work as an EMT and just had a bad experience with no oxy available and nothing to open up a new bottle with. Any ideas?

Could you post a picture of an oxygen wrench? I don't know what it is exactly and I'm sure we can come up with some better solutions if we know more about what your looking for.

Benchmade Rescue Hook, O2 wrench built in. Pic for newgraham:

BM5.jpg

Well you might look at the Spyderco Rescue for a knife. Any multi-tool will open a o2 bottle.Most paramedics I work with have a little o2 wrench hanging off their belt,but a multi-tool will do the job plus much more.

Well, I happen to have Spyderco's D'Larra, assist, and Blue 93mm knives infront of me right now, due to the great passaround, and I am going to do somewhing that I have never done before. I am going to reccomend a spyderco.

If I were a EMS worker, I think that the Blue 93mm would be a fine knife to carry. It's 3/4 serrated, sharp, thin, light, and seems like a more inexpensive knife that can do the job.

I also have a rescue hook and would reccomend that if you need to "add a zipper" to anything, aka clothes, seatbelts, whatever. That thing will "zip" through whatever you need to open.

Wow, I recomended a spyderco, what's next for me?

well plumber, i would suggest next: a dictionarry. recommend has only one c and happen has one a and two p's. ha, ha. just kiddding.

i can highly recommend a spydie rescue. i'm in the rescue biz, try to stay out of patient care, but i can say without hesitation that i have no doubts that my rescue (actually have several stashed about) will do what i need it to. i would say go for the big one. i like the orange handle because it is fully serrated and more visible if dropped. they cut wonderfully, are fairly strong and simple, and do not cost a lot, which is a major plus because it will probably get beaten up a bit. my first i bought in '98 and have still not had to sharpen it.

i also have a rescue hook, but honestly, have never had an opportunity to use it. the rescue always gets pulled for cutting. i would suggest the hard sheath over the cloth one.

hope this helps and keep up the good work.

k

The BM Rescue Hook is pretty nice, except I preferred to carry a more pointy knife along with it, as did alot of folks I worked with. Delicas, Enduras, Pro- Grip, Police, MT Socom are a few that immediately spring to mind.

Before the Rescue Hook I had excellent luck with a Leatherman Wave. Granted, the pliers aren't ideal for O2, but they get the job done in a pinch. (the serrated sheepsfoot blade an obvious choice for seatbelts and thick gnarly clothing) it also did a million other things quite well too, like helping to change bulbs in a tail light, etc.

Another one that grew on me was the Emerson P-SARK. Before anyone grabs thier chest and starts screaming "BUT P IS FOR POINTY!" That's sorta true, but it's not very pointy, and you'd have to SERIOUSLY F--- up to stick a patient with it. my P-Sark was blunt enough for extrication, sharp enough to chip ice at sporting events and stations, and took a simple, easy to maintain razor sharp edge (especially after raising the grind about five degrees)

those are just a few of my own favorites. Good luck to ya'!

Well, in my defense...my mind is a bit faster than my sub-average typing skills. plus, I was in a rush to get to work. If you would notice, I did have 2 a's in happen...

That was my first spyderco recomendation, and I if were in an Emergency medical field, it would probably be the only spyderco I would own.

Enjoy my reccomendation while it lasts.

Esav Benyamin said:
You're growing up! :D

I know I'm growing, I always keep an open mind. I had a spyderco when i was younger and messed it up just playing in my woods. Since then I have not had a positive view of their knives. I still would take a BM or an Emerson over many of their knives, but the rescue knives in front of me seem to be great knives for their purpose.

So, I expland my horizons, and grow.

ONWARD AND UPWARD! :D

I TOLD YOU THAT THING WAS AWESOME!
I loved that rescue too, the passaround almost got me to buy A SPYDERCO!!!

Shhhhhh, my expensive, cutting-edge technology, AXIS BM520 is gonna get a complex!

shanshui75 said:
well plumber, i would suggest next: a dictionarry. recommend has only one c and happen has one a and two p's. ha, ha. just kiddding.
k
And dictionary has only one "r":D

For EMS, look at an MT LUDT, Spyderco ATR, Strider SNG, Buck-Mayo TNT, or a Socom Elite.

All of the already mentioned knives work also, it's what you find comfortable

I'd vote a Spydie Rescue, or any other high-quality knife with a dulled tip so as not to have much of a chance of stabbing anybody who doesn't need to be stabbed. Then either the BM hook or a good multi. .

Back