Knife Oils

Gunner

BANNED
Hey there what oil should i use on any knife to resist rust? which is the best? I need one that is safe to use on a knife that will be used to prepare food, and such. so what ones are not harmful?

On most my knives I use a product very similar to White Lightning, except it is a Castrol Dry Lube marketed for bicycles by Wrench Force (Trek). I wipe it on, then let it dry and it leaves a thin wax film. If I want to clean it up I simply rub the wx off and there is a nice protective film left over. On knives that I think may be used in camp for food I use olive oil. I also use olive oil on me Perkins knives because I like them for cutting fruit this time of year, plus it helps condition the sheath. I'm not sure how well an oil like olive oil will prevent rust, though.

------------------
My Custom Kydex Sheath pagehttp://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/knifehome.html
Palmer College of Chiropractic
On Two Wheels

Here we go again....
smile.gif

There's a perennial flame war going on between those of us who are paranoid and don't want to take any chances and those other guys who fearlessly reck not the cost and use Marine Tuff Cloth.

I have never seen any evidence that Tuff Cloth can harm you in any way. Neither have I seen absolute proof it can't, and I'm paranoid.

Other products on the market such as WD-40 and Rem-Oil are definitely toxic. Of course you'd only be ingesting very small quantities and many of us are doing it and don't seem to be dropping dead in large numbers.

Marine Tuff Cloth is generally agreed to give better rust protection than anything else, and it isn't known to be toxic. Mineral oil is definitely harmless and it protects well enough if renewed frequently.

-Cougar Allen :{)

Okay guys.. just for kicks, here's what I did.

I treated one knife with Marine Tuf-Cloth, and another with Tuf-Glide, wiped on and left to dry.

I then wiped off the excess films until it's shiny again (but supposedly, the protection is still there) and proceeded to cut food with it (Watermelons, bread, roast chicken, beef) and ATE the food.
smile.gif

If I don't come back in a few days, either here or in other threads, then I might be poisoned already.. hehehe..
But chances are, it's non-toxic, coz I'm sensitive to those things, and I have yet to feel anything funny in my tummy as of now. Food has been ingested a couple of hours ago.

So far so good..
smile.gif

Dan

A thin film of most things like this won't kill you. There are two concerns I have as a health care professional and user of knives:
1) Will the chemical impart a taste to the food?
2) Why poison yourself on any level unnecessarily?
While I would be very surprised that any of theseproducts produce toxicity on a level that is dangerous, it is also foolhardy to challenege your body when not necessary.

------------------
My Custom Kydex Sheath pagehttp://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/knifehome.html
Palmer College of Chiropractic
On Two Wheels

The manufacturer of Tuff Cloth answered this question in a similar thread some months ago.

Tuff Cloth is not approved for use in food service because obtaining those approvals is expensive and the market is very small. Also, the application method, a cloth that is used again and again, isn't overly sanitary for food service. But, there's nothing in Tuff Cloth that's poisonous or anything. If you're engaged in professional food service, it's probably best not to use Tuff Cloth since it isn't legally approved. But, for your own use, it's fine.

Chuck

Marine Tuff Cloth on my working knives (San Francisco weather) and Olive Oil on my SAK or dress knives, which I use on food (mostly).

I have not suffered from oxidation, but I am a bit fanatical about keeping my blades clean.

------------------
James

Still alive here, guys..
smile.gif

no after-effects on using Tuf-cloth with my kitchen knives, and cutting up foodstuffs.

Nope, I don't think I'd wanna try ingesting the lubricant raw.
smile.gif

Dan

Danny C,

In radiation safety, and toxicology, we often use what is called the “linear no-threshold hypothesis.” Often we are dealing with very small effects that can not be seen with any statistical significance at reasonable doses. So very high doses are used to produce an effect, and then the effect is assumed to extrapolate back in a linear manner to low doses.

In this spirit, I suggest you reconsider the ingestion of tuff glide. Drink a gallon of tuff-glide, and paint a quart over your entire skin surface. Let us know the results. I’m sure they will be of great significance to those of us who are contemplating using these products on knives used for food preparation.
wink.gif

Most of the oils that offer significant corrosion protection are toxic and/or taste bad. What are left are animal greases or mineral oils. Lard is messy and subject to spoilage. The vegetable oils can become rancid and gummy. I would tend not to use oils because of the mess factor, but if I used one it would be a light olive or peanut oil (if only for taste).

In certain circumstances I rub white parafin wax on knives. I just get a white candle or some bulk canning wax from the grocery store. I rub the side of the blade on the wax and then rub it in with cloth. It's neat, safe, and tasteless. It even makes the knives slide through materials better.

Err.. Howard, that'll make me rustproof forever! hehehehe...

Nahh.. just figured small enough doses won't harm anybody. I guess the toxicity level depends on how much, like you said. And since Sentry's lubricants are supposed to penetrate into the metal, there should be no residue left on the outside when cutting through foodstuffs, right?

Dan

Good old mineral oil, which you'll find in thelaxative area of your local drugstore or supermarket has been used for years to inhibit rust on machine tools. It's also nontoxic, washes off easily. You can also use Vaseline.

This has been discussed extensively in past posts, but the basic problem is that Tuf Cloth contains "mineral spirits". Mineral spirits are what make up paint thinner and they are toxic. The debate involes whether or not the mineral spirits evaporate, leaving a harmless film on the knife. I don't know if Tuf Cloth is safe or not, but mineral oil works fine.

Nothing works pretty well also. It is quicker to apply than most other preparations, and is guaranteed to be non-toxic.

The only place I have ever found significant amounts of rust on a frequently used food preparation knife is under the handle slabs. The rust prevention treatments aren’t going to get down there anyway. Surface discoloration will not affect the utility of the knives.

I agree with Howard Wallace - nothing works best. It is definitely the best compromise.

Marco

Danny, are you alright? I think it is morning in the PI, so you should be up and about.

I hope he didn't think that being permanantly rustproof was a good idea...

Danny, how you feeling? Can you hear us? Don't go into the light, it's not your time!

------------------
James

James... can't type too much.... everything turned stainless in me... ugh...

It's Howard's fault.. lol...
smile.gif

Though I did treat some kitchen knives with Tuf-Glide/Tuf-Cloth, wiped off the excess, and proceeded to cut up some foodstuffs, and ATE them.

Still alive and kicking.. I think?!?

As to Howard's suggestion of ingesting it, I may be crazy, but I'm not that desperate yet to become the Stainless Man.
smile.gif
hahaha....

Dan

I should know better than to drink tea while reading these posts. Now I have to clean off my monitor again.

Danny, I think you will find your new body to be quite impervious to the corrosive salt-sea environment of the Philippines. I'm sure the girls will get used to your new color when they realize the many advantages of being corrosion proof!

Howard, women love shiny stainless skin! You should try it someday! lol!
smile.gif

I live in the mountains far from the salty seas, so I guess I'm safe from rust for now.
smile.gif

I wonder if Tuf-Glide would work with tea-drenched monitors...
smile.gif
smile.gif

Now... if only I can get my butt off these huge speakers w/ huge magnets, I'll be on my way... hehehe..

Dan

Back