Knife questions for Jeff Randall?

I know you are probably bored to tears of 'em but here goes.

How do you think an indonesian barong would do in the jungles of peru?(better than a standard machete?)

Between Newt's air assualt and Top's stormrider which one would you rather have if there can only be one?(I know you got to be nice to both)

What do you think of Busse knives for the jungle? (do you think the steel heart 2 is big enough to replace a true machete?)

Sorry there are so many?
thanks chris

How do you think an indonesian barong would do in the jungles of peru?(better than a standard machete?)

That one I can't answer because I've never used one before.

Between Newt's air assualt and Top's stormrider which one would you rather have if there can only be one?(I know you got to be nice to both)

Being nice is not the issue, being honest is. If I felt either one of the maker's blades were not up to a particular task I would say it if asked. Newt Livesay is a close friend of mine, Mike Fuller is also a new found friend. Both gentlemen have the highest degree of integrity in my opinion and would not get upset if I said 'Hey, this new widget knife ain't worth a sh** in the jungle'
smile.gif

Now to answer your question. I would not be underknifed with either piece. I believe the TOPS would take more lateral force, but the Air Assault is a better slasher. As far as edge holding they run about equal from what I could see.

Now to really answer your question, if I were skinning I would much rather have the Air Assault, if I were chopping and doing heavy work, I would prefer the TOPS.

Now to absolutley answer your question, I can't because each one serves the user for different tasks. If I had to pick only one, I would close my eyes, flip a coin, go with whatever came up, and feel comfortable.

What do you think of Busse knives for the jungle? (do you think the steel heart 2 is big enough to replace a true machete?)

I've never used the Steel Heart in the jungle, nor have I owned one. If it's the blade I think you're talking about, then it's definitley not a machete, maybe not because of length as much as thickness. Again, I don't know the knife. Here again, this could probably go right back to my answer above, the SH would probably excel against a machete in other areas, so it's another one of those 'tools for the job' things.

Hope this answered your questions. - Jeff

------------------
Randall's Adventure & Training
jeff@jungletraining.com

Jeff,
I understand that you brought a Fallkniven on your last jungle trip. I was wondering which model it was and how it performed. Thanks.

Seahawk,

I was so gear heavy on this last trip due to carrying in a lot of items for our friends in Iquitos, that I didn't take the Fallkniven. I have the F1 still in the box it came in and plan to do something with it soon.

We're attempting to arrange an upcoming trip into Colombia and I plan to use it then as a primary sheath blade since this trip won't be specifically for testing gear and taking clients.

Just from first glance I REALLY like the piece, but the handles are just a little small for my hands...and the sheath could be better for our uses. - Jeff

------------------
jeff@jungletraining.com

Jeff, A quick comment. I understand the Falkniven has recently changed its sheath or at least made Kydex an option. I do not know which one you have, and I may have the details wrong, but at least I thought this would serve as an alert to check if you are interested. There have been several comments about this in the General Blade Forum or Reviews.

Donald, the one I've got is leather and has a snap down flap. Newt Livesay told me to ship the blade to him and he would make a Kydex sheath for it but I just keep forgetting to send it. - Jeff

------------------
jeff@jungletraining.com

[This message has been edited by JeffRandall (edited 07 December 1999).]

Busse's Steel Heart is a 1/4" thick, 7" long knife. I'm not Jeff, but I'll opine here that it is not even remotely a replacement for a machete, it excels at different things entirely. But if you're happy with a 7" blade in the bush, perhaps you really don't need a machete?

Joe

Thanks for the great feed back.

I have only used a machete once on a camping trip. my wife and i went to a friends adult tree fort in southwestern WA.
when we got there it looked like a vietnamese jungle.I guess he forgot to tell us he hadn't been there for awhile.needless to say I had a great time and wife was didn't leave a 10 ft diameter area which I cleared with the machete.After that experience i bought a busse st2 cause i felt it could do it all.I am sure it could clear alot of trails.I have taken it on many pacific nw camping trips and done alot of survival training with it.BUT I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO THE JUNGLE! I absolutely love to check out jeff's trip to peru.

I was also thinking that a borong could even be more all purpose.but don't know anyone who has used one in the field. I think I read an old ASG once where someone had a Terzoula borong.

Thanks Again,

Chris Aloia

THIS IS AN AWESOME FORUM !

Thanks bladeforum for setting it up!

Hey Jeff...

About the Fallkniven sheaths...
Definately send it to Newt for kydex work..

The stock Fallkniven kydex sheath are well,, kind of nasty looking,, if you know what I mean...

I've seen pictures of them,, and they don't look very well thought out.

Either send'er over to Newt,, or shoot it my way,, be happy to do a blade for you sometime..

ttyle Eric...

------------------
Eric E. Noeldechen
On/Scene Tactical
http://www.mnsi.net/~nbtnoel

On Okinawa I broke a military issue machete and then my Cold Steel Kuri trying to chop through a small bamboo forrest. Was young and stupid trying to make a path instead of taking the long way around. That was abuse and misuese of the finest kind.

Now that I've got a Busse #9 I'd like to go back and try it out in some thick bamboo. I'm willing to bet it would do just fine.

Normark, thanks for the offer. I'll probably take you up on it.

jrf, I completely agree, these people can do just about anything with a 5 dollar piece of sh** machete.

Ron did an article for Tactical Knives that had some pictures of machetes the Indians were using...real POS blades but they worked.

Jeff

------------------
jeff@jungletraining.com

Back