Knife Recommendation for a Friend

I have been interested in knives for as long as I can remember thus trying to welcome anyone I can to be an enthusiast also. A good friend of mine is open to the thought of buying a higher end knife but my searches have come to a halt. Need some help from fellow enthusiast.

My friend currently has a SOG flash 2 and as is, nothing wrong with that but wants something better. His main uses for it is edc and backpacking, so a light knife is a must. I mentioned for backpacking a smaller fixed blade but he isn't open to the idea as he doesn't want to carry a folder, fixed and a multi-tool.

Things he wants includes:

Light weight - Under 5oz
Serrations (not a must; needs good edge retention to mark this off the list)
Assisted (noted to him that most modern decent quality folders can be smooth enough to "flick" open with no effort but is still a must)
Good Ergos (large hands)
Deep carry (not a must)
Under $150 (preferably cheaper the better but will sacrifice price for quality)
Better Steel than AUS8
3.25-4 Inch Blade

I suggested a Benchmade Barrage but he held another friends Mini and didn't like anything about it but the steel. I mentioned that it's not comparable to the regular size but because of it's weight it is a problem. I recommended going to a knife store and actually holding something in hand to see what fits his needs but none around his area. I also suggested a Benchmade CLA 4300 but it's an auto; so NO AUTO's.

My conclusion is that the SOG he has fits his needs better than just about anything I have been able to find. If anybody could help recommend something that would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
ZT0350 or 566

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

I actually mentioned both of those but he said no to them both because of weight on both and no serrations on the 0566.

The weight is the biggest factor for him. He stresses that is needs to be lighter. Personally I think if he tried something different he would be impressed that he wouldn't mind an extra ounce.

I like the Benchmade 530 for backpacking. Spyderco Delica or Endura are great options.
fbe3aa579ccd3efafe78e493ab3c9c27.jpg
5b7250203c3df377170ba469518e128a.jpg

Benchmade 580 Barrage would've been my suggestion too. On a side note... it's 4.2 ounces according to specs (so just slightly under 5).

The Benchmade Volli would be another knife to consider.

Also... the Benchmade 890S Torrent.

Also take a look at the Protech LERCH TR-5.
Assisted open, 154CM steel, 3.25" blade length, 3.52oz weight, aluminum scales, deep carry pocket clip. Estimated price $200
94a9003197d5f741553f00d7a5ef38c8.jpg
9c5681c9df38a06f2e497c16457d1479.jpg

If you were to have him check out something like the essee izula or izula 2 fixed blades he might change his mind.
There are a lot of outdoors tasks better suited for fixed blades, and you should really convince him to be open to the idea.
Modern Edc folders aren't really suited for the woods anyway, they just happen to be knives which can cut stuff.
If he carries a fixed blade he can simply leave his unsuited edc folder behind.

Off the top of my head, I have to second the volli idea. There is a knife for everyone but it's such a personal preference thing that it's hard to suggest the perfect one. I do think the awesome members here though will definitely be able to get him in the ball park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off the top of my head, I have to second the volli idea. There is a knife for everyone but it's such a personal preference thing that it's hard to suggest the perfect one. I do think the awesome members here though will definitely be able to get him in the ball park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you were to have him check out something like the essee izula or izula 2 fixed blades he might change his mind.
There are a lot of outdoors tasks better suited for fixed blades, and you should really convince him to be open to the idea.
Modern Edc folders aren't really suited for the woods anyway, they just happen to be knives which can cut stuff.
If he carries a fixed blade he can simply leave his unsuited edc folder behind.

I completely agree and actually mentioned that if he had a smaller fixed blade it would suffice for both. A folder can't do a fixed blades job but a fixed can do a folders job.

I think he was some what open to the idea but doesn't like the carry options of fixed blades.

A Spyderco PM2 would do the trick VERY nicely. For his money, could step up the steel and find one in S35V or perhaps CTS-XHP or Elmax on the Exchange. Many appear on the Exchange...ANIB...and they are....for a great discount.

I think its a matter of trying a few things out. An izula works great for pocket carry in most cases, and the sheath is good enough for a lot of carry options.

On the folders front, sticking to assists is a challenge, it could very well be that he just needs to handle a few knives that fit his hands, I wonder if the need for assists is that he feels he doesn't get good contact all the way to open with the knives he's tried, and so the assist makes up for that?

A Spyderco PM2 would do the trick VERY nicely. For his money, could step up the steel and find one in S35V or perhaps CTS-XHP or Elmax on the Exchange. Many appear on the Exchange...ANIB...and they are....for a great discount.

Like I said to him about higher quality knives not needing assisted opening but he demands it like as if his life depends on it. He's quote is "What if I'm backpacking or climbing and I need to open my knife to ensure my life isn't on the line anymore. Well I want something that I can just barely press (the thumbstud on the flash 2) and have it open fast."

I've even thought about sending him my pm2 or endura just to try out.

I think its a matter of trying a few things out. An izula works great for pocket carry in most cases, and the sheath is good enough for a lot of carry options.

On the folders front, sticking to assists is a challenge, it could very well be that he just needs to handle a few knives that fit his hands, I wonder if the need for assists is that he feels he doesn't get good contact all the way to open with the knives he's tried, and so the assist makes up for that?

I believe that is exactly why he "relies" on the assist. Cause he hasn't had any decent quality blades but the ones he has had usually require two.. or three hands to open lol.

I like the Benchmade 530 for backpacking. Spyderco Delica or Endura are great options.
fbe3aa579ccd3efafe78e493ab3c9c27.jpg
5b7250203c3df377170ba469518e128a.jpg

Yes I do agree the 530/531 are great options and I thought about mentioning it to him but he's being very dramatic about assisted.

Kershaw Blur S30V
-Assisted
-Great edge retention
-3.4" blade
-4 oz
-Under $80
-Aftermarket titanium deep carry clips available for ~$20-$25

Kershaw Camber
If you can find one under $150 on the exchange, a ZT 0770CF
Benchmade Barrage/mini Barrage

Yes I do agree the 530/531 are great options and I thought about mentioning it to him but he's being very dramatic about assisted.

Only reason I don't carry assisted for backpacking is its harder to close 1 handed. I can open most knives just as fast as assisted. It's truly not needed.

I completely agree and actually mentioned that if he had a smaller fixed blade it would suffice for both. A folder can't do a fixed blades job but a fixed can do a folders job.

I think he was some what open to the idea but doesn't like the carry options of fixed blades.

With all of the mounting option of the izula's sheath I'm sure he could figure something out, especially with a tech lock.

Back