Knife Reference and Identification

Can anyone recomend a good book to have as a reference for old and new slipjoint makes and models. I know there are a bunch of different books out there but I just wanted to know what everyone's preference was. Also, what is the best book to learn about the history of various manufacturers. Basically, I am looking for some good solid reference materials.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

The most useful to me is Levin's Guide to Knives and Their Values Vol 4. Bernard might have a few left on his site.Link to his site and the book

There are many good books out there for reference. There is no one "do it all book". Personally I collect whatever books I can to help learn more. Be careful of Parker's books as his tend to be a little biased towards his own knives. Price's books are okay, but do not give you as much info as you may like. With that said you can get on knife world's site and check out there bookstore.

A couple I have are:

The smaller book by Levine (translated to Spanish, don´t remember the name in English, it´s probably just "pocketknives"), not as through as his famous guide but a cute book).

If you like French knives, "Collectible Pocket Knives" by Dominique Pascal, originally published as "La Folie des Couteaux de Poche", 2001 by Flammarion, Paris, this one is small and fat with pictures and short descriptions.

heres a small sample of what they have at knifeworld.com

The Official Price Guide to Collector Knives 13th EditionThe most popular book on collectable knives is back with a new 13th edition. A handy, portable resource on pocket, hunting, bowie, commemorative, fruit and military knives, this is a book that no collector should be without. Softcover, 560 pp.

Availability: Usually ships the next business day.

$17.95

American Premium Guide to Knives & Razors, 5th EditionThe BEST guide for older Case, Queen, Remington, Robeson, and Winchester pocketknives; Case and Remington limited editions; Case, Queen, and Remington sheath knives; and Case family straight razors. Softcover, 496 pp.

$24.95

Goins' Encyclopedia of Cutlery MarkingsThe single best source for dates and information on old cutlery firms and markings. The knife enthusiast's "bible" - a resource no antique cutlery buff can afford to be without. Softcover, 311 pp.

$27.95

Standard Knife Collector's Guide, 4th EditionThis general book contains nearly 800 pages of useful information with a primary focus on antique and limited edition pocketknives. Its inexpensive price and very useful color section are two of many reasons for its popularity. Softcover, 782 pp.

$14.95

Keen Kutter Pocket KnivesA great new identification and value guide on Keen Kutter pocketknives, written by a Keen Kutter authority. Over 1100 illustrations, current values, and additional collector information. Softcover, 224 pp.

$19.95

100 Legendary KnivesTranslated from the original French, this full color book highlights custom and factory knives from around the world in a series of pictures and short profiles.
Hardcover, 144 pp.

$29.95

Big Book of Pocket KnivesA great resource for collectors of older knives, this book contains reprints of over 30 old cutlery catalogs from a variety of firms. Collector prices are also included. Softcover, 344 pp.

$19.95

Counterfeiting Antique CutleryAn essential volume for the collector of antique pocket, hunting, and bowie knives, this book will teach you how to identify and protect yourself from counterfeits. Softcover, 512 pp.

Regular price: $30.00Sale price: $15.00

The Collector's Guide to Switchblade KnivesFeaturing photos, descriptions, and prices of more than 160 different examples, both American and foreign, this book should prove useful to all collectors of automatic knives. Hardcover, 210 pp.

$49.95

Switchblade: The Ace of BladesThis book serves as a good basic introduction to switchblade knives, covering what they are, how they work, federal, state, and local laws, butterfly knives, switchblade kits, and how to use and care for switchblades. Softcover, 96 pp.

$15.00

Knives 2004IN STOCK - The annual source for articles, photos, addresses, and information on your favorite custom and factory knives. Softcover, 312 pp.

Regular price: $22.95Sale price: $19.95

Collectible Knives Page 2
click here for more books on collectible knives!

Phone Orders: 1-800-828-7751

Knife World Publications
PO Box 3395i
Knoxville, TN 37927 USA
Tel: 865-397-1955
Fax: 865-397-1969
E-mail: knifepub@knifeworld.com

Created By
KnifeArt.com -Fine Custom Knives

KNIFE WORLD® is a registered trademark of Knife World Publications.

This website and its contents copyright 1999-2003 Knife World Publications
Unauthorized use of copyrighted material prohibited by law.

Back