1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knife restoration, save the markings

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by RidingDutchman, Dec 7, 2018 at 8:29 AM.

1. RidingDutchman

RidingDutchman

Nov 9, 2018
    Hello all,

Beginner question I assume, but I've recently gotten my hands on an old Zwilling kitchen knife, which I want to restore. It really needs some buffing on the blade but even with some very light polishing to get the built up dirt off, the brand markings start to fade.
    Is there any way to buff the blade without removing these or is this just something I have to live with?

Thanks for any help!

2. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    If you are going to use it then don't worry about it. It's just a kitchen knife meant to be used.

3. justjed

justjed

Oct 23, 2010
    Did you buy it for a collection, or do you intend to use it? Even hand washing in the sink will eventually wear the markings, assuming they are not stamped.
    You might look at a variable speed Dremel with a small polishing tip, and work the areas AROUND the markings at low speed with very light pressure to preserve the contrast. The markings themselves might respond better to some very fine steel wool, or even just a soft rag, again with VERY light pressure(and NO polishing compound).

If it were me, I would wash it once, and it would either go in the collection, or a knife block, whichever I bought it for.

4. CableGirl

CableGirl

Aug 19, 2018
    Mask it off with a piece of masking tape. You can usually see the etching through the tape so cut precisely around that with an x-acto knife and buff over it gingerly as the tape will wear off but shouldn't before the area around it has the finish you want.

Edit: Works on my Fallkniven and GEC blades.

5. dsalazar

dsalazar

Jun 22, 2017
    Your going to want to use a cleaner that will not polish and has no abrasives. The polishing is going to make it harder to see. It blends the logo with blade when polishing. I'd let them soak to soften up dirt then use a soft rag or sponge. I have a set there markings are very easy to remove. Made the mistake when using a blue scrubbing pad.