Knife Sharpening Get Together ?

Has there ever been a knife sharpening get together by any of the forum members that anyone knows about?

I am in the South Eastern Pennsylvania area and would benefit from meeting up with some forum members and maybe bring some of our gear or just meet at a restaurant and talk over coffee.

In all seriousness, that does sound like a cool idea. However, I picture a bunch of guys descending on a local cafe, spreading knives and stones on a table, passionately discussing convex vs flat, or hand vs guided, and the staff or other customers calling the cops. That aside, I have learned almost everything I know about sharpening from this forum. I bet I could learn even more by talking with some knowledgeable people in person.

ncrockclimb ... yep, something tells me your scenario would lead to a bunch of bladeforum members making the evening news. =)

I hosted a get together a few years back where I rented an archery range and people from a five state circumference came for a great morning of shooting and then we went to a local restaurant to eat and talk for a couple hours.

Down this way there are some Mom & Pop restaurants where maybe we could get a back room with a door we could close, or maybe some body lives on a farm and has room at an outdoor work space to have a few of us standing around.

Even without any gear present, just to sit and talk in person would be a benefit and to me decrease the learning curve hopefully for us all.

I'd be willing to drive a couple hours in any direction starting from Berks County, PA.

South Cali? Get my drivers license in three weeks if anyone wants to meet up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far, kane22 and I are representing the "Pennsylvania Sharpening Guild or PSG (get some badges made up here =) ... any others, we even accept those from Ohio, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey and New York.

Kidding aside ... kane22 and I are in the South Central, South Eastern part of the state - if anyone is within a comfortable driving distance, hopefully we can set something up. It can be simple like meeting for coffee, or if someone has the space, bringing some stones and sharpening together.

It may be hard to find a group that are in the same local, but I'll throw an idea out there. Maybe we could do a youtube hangout knife chat. I'm not exactly sure how to set one up, but it can't be that hard. Not exactly the same as J Thomas's idea and you won't be able to actually get your hands on different sharping system. Could be a fun way to get to talk to some other knife guys and share some good info. Maybe we could make it a regular thing. Just a thought.

kane22 ... Great idea with the YouTube Hangout Knife Chat, unfortunately I do not know how to set one of these up. If you ever want to meet just us two at a place closer to you feel free to reach out, I can be in Hershey, York or thereabouts within a reasonable amount of time. Woodcraft store in Harrisburg has some Shapton and DMT stones if you want to meet there and then hit a local restaurant.

West coast? Portland Oregon?

Something here in the Portland area would be fantastic! Ever since Derrick from KnivesShipFree moved away I have missed just talking knives with someone. Talking sharpening would be great! Guess I'll read the rest of the thread now, lol.

Let me look into the google hangout knife chat idea. I think I can figure out how to set one up.

Back