Knife sharpening question

How much do you think a local knife/gun shop would charge to sharpen a knife?

I royally suck at it.

I've never seen one that provided that service. You'd probably do better either sending it back to the factory, since most offer that service now, or making friends with your local knife knut (everyplace has one or twelve). In the long term, you might invest in an EdgePro. Apparently, they make it easy to sharpen almost any knife.

Well there is a guy at my work that is hardcore into knife collecting, that might be good at sharpening.

A shop near my work charges $8, which isn't that great a deal considering they didn't hone it and burned the tip. Oh well, it was a cheap knife sacrifice.

A knife shop may offer the service. Your best be is to get out your local yellow pages and call some of them and ask about rates. You could also go to a local knife shop and ask them to demonstrate one of their V-rod sharpeners, or let you try their demonstration unit.

ThreadMoving.jpg

I have knives sharpened at gun shows for $2. The fellow used a grinder with different types of buffers and the knife was very sharp and shiny!

All I can say is be careful.

There are a lot of people who think they can sharpen knives. And a lot of people who "butcher" them, especially with those powered tools.

Ask to see some examples (and yah, some will look at you like your crazy).

Back