Knife sharpening

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Scan, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Scan

Scan

Dec 22, 2019
    What is the best portable knife sharpener for the field? :)

2. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    That's not very specific. What are you looking for?

GABaus likes this.
  3. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    There's a lot to choose from.
    I've used the Eze-lap wallet size diamond plates for the last ~25 years.

4. MtnHawk1

MtnHawk1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 22, 2019
    "The best" would depend on the type of knife, steel, edge, and use; weight, bulk, and other individual preferences and limitations, so there is no "one-size-fits-all" answer.

Since I usually carry everything in the wilderness, light weight and low bulk are important. I like the DMT Double Sided Diafolds, especially the Coarse/Extra Coarse, for general maintenance. If the Baryonyx Manticore ever comes out in pocket stone size I'd also carry that for the tougher jobs.

MolokaiRider and GABaus like this.
  5. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2006
    "In the field" I prefer a double sided leather strop, made from a wooden "paint stir stick" and coated with 3 micron CBN on one side and ,.5 CBN on the other.

6. GABaus

GABaus

May 7, 2017
    Your question is way to generic and vague to give a good answer but I use a small black Arkansas stone, probably about 3 to 4 inches long and less than an inch wide it gives a good finish.

7. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    DMT Diafolds.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    MtnHawk1 and rpttrsn like this.
  8. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    DMT Diamond Stones will sharpen any blade steel quickly..

MtnHawk1 and rpttrsn like this.