1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Knife show success

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Cyo, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Cyo

Cyo Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    I was able to look at some lovely GEC knives today at the Easton Knife show. The GEC table had a nice selection of their current production runs. The person I was speaking with, Chris I believe, was very helpful and friendly. My eye was caught by the Ben Hogan lock-back in Brazilian jigged cherry. Chris told me they just finished those and she was able to grab a few before leaving on Friday. She told me she was able to get a few low numbers and that she had number 2 available. How could I say no? I didn't!

[​IMG]

Here is open.

[​IMG]

I was also impressed with the Outlaw Gunstock Jack in burnt stag, so I got that too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm quite happy with the haul. I had a couple of items I was planning on trying to trade/sell, so I may head back tomorrow and swing by again to see if anything else needs a new home. I mean, it's only polite so Chris doesn't have to hassle with carrying everything back across the state.

2. Vanguard41xx

Vanguard41xx

Dec 29, 2010
    Lovely knives! Great stag on that Outlaw

3. zippofan

zippofan

Nov 12, 2011
    Congrats on two great knives!

I don't remember seeing many Ben Hogan's on here, I'm very curious about its pocketability at 4 1/4" as it seems like a nice slim pattern. Reminds me a little of the Case Copperlock.

4. pertinux

pertinux Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Cyo,

I'm so glad you found knives you like. Thanks for the pictures! I especially like the Outlaw. :thumbup:

When I was at GEC a couple months back, Chris Tucker was very helpful not only in helping me choose a pattern, but the covers within that pattern-- she opened a lot of tubes for me! So, I'm not surprised you had a good experience at the GEC table.

I'd hoped to get there today, but schedules and priorities ruled it out (some days, it's a real bummer being a grown up). I hadn't realized the show continued tomorrow. Hmmmmm.

~ P.

5. Doug Add

Doug Add

Jan 9, 2012
    I like the look of that cherry wood!

Mine is 4.5" which is a bit large for me, but I prefer smaller knives in my pocket. So as not to take away from Cyo's thread, I will direct you here for a thread I posted showing it as the patina has developed.

6. Rick

Rick Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 1998
    Very nice knives - congrats!

That's some beautiful (and nicely matched) stag on the #76; one of the nicest examples I've seen.

How's the lockup on the Ben Hogan? Any up/down or lateral play? Don't get me wrong, I love GEC's lockbacks--I have half-a-dozen #72s--but they're not exactly what I'd call "bank vaults" in the lockup department.

7. Nauplios

Nauplios

Sep 6, 2012
    My Ben Hogan is a Northfield, and it's 4 9/16" closed. I sat down while watching a couple of ball games and stitched (just with needle and thread) a section about 1 1/2" wide down the outside edge of my back pockets next to where I just carry a handkerchief and comb. I don't even know it's there. It's a tough knife to try and carry loose in either the front or back pocket because it wants to go horizontal almost immediately. Upright is the key.

8. Sonnemann

Sonnemann

Sep 21, 2010
    Glad to see they made that pattern into a lockback, now I'll get one.

9. Cyo

Cyo Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Lock-up is tight. No up and down or lateral play at all. I'm quite pleased with it.

10. Rick

Rick Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 1998
    That's good news - thanks!

11. Peter Parker

Peter Parker

Aug 18, 2008
    Both nice I really like the looks of the OLJ!

12. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    The Ben Hogan pattern is on my short list. I carry that size grandad barlows in my front pockets daily. No problems here.

13. LKJW

LKJW

Nov 21, 2010
    Those are some nice knives.

14. Sonnemann

Sonnemann

Sep 21, 2010
    Does anyone know if they'll come out with the 65 lockback in a different handle material? i.e. I'd kill for an Ebony NF w/ spear blade

ETA: found the production for anyone who's interested. Nice.

#65LB – Benjamin L. Hogan – Clip blade, cap end, lockback

Tidioute – smooth bolster
    Jigged bone – color to be determined
    Ebony Wood
    Jigged Brazilian Cherry Wood
    Acrylic – color to be determined

Northfield – Lined bolster
    Jigged bone – color to be determined
    Calico bone
    Cocobolo Wood
    Burnt Stag
    Natural Stag
    Genuine Stag
    Pheasant Feathers Acrylic

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  15. Great looking lockback, Another one I need to get!

16. Clem Kadiddlehopper

Clem Kadiddlehopper Leather Craftsman Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 4, 2012
    Nice score on some beautiful knives - congrats.

17. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Good choices, Cyo!

18. richstag

richstag

Feb 22, 2007
    Those are two very nice looking knives! I especially like the stag on that gunstock. Extremely dramatic.

Kevin