Test ad

Knife steel chart for Android v.3.99.1 posted on google play.

Gator97

Gold Member
Please do update, especially if your phone uses non English system language.
And let me know if you encounter any problems.

What's new:
  1. Fixed the issue with missing alloys in some charts, affecting phones with non English system languages. This one took really long time to find and reproduce.
  2. Performance improvements.
  3. Stability improvements and memory leak fixes.
  4. Latest db snapshot.

How to find the app on the market(if you don't have it):
1) Search for "knife steel chart"
2) search "pub:ZviSoft"
3) If you have barcode reader in your phone then use this QR code:
androstlcht.png

Knife steel chart for iOS devices is here:

JBC6650

Gold Member
Basic Member
Thank you, pulled the update down. A couple of suggestions: It would be nice to have a filter of the current most popular steels (Top 50 or 100) and then a rating system or visual like what blade hq has for the various user properties.

Gator97

Gold Member
Thanks All for the feedback :)

Thank you, pulled the update down. A couple of suggestions: It would be nice to have a filter of the current most popular steels (Top 50 or 100) and then a rating system or visual like what blade hq has for the various user properties.
Interesting suggestions, although two of them are really difficult for me at the moment:
1) Popular steels - Really hard to track on constant basis what is popular. I've tried to use my own database to track popularity, but it's rather inconclusive and today's hot steels barely ever appear in top 10 searches in a day or a week, e.g. knife steel trends today.

That said, I'd love to have the feature, if I figure out how to track popularity overall somehow. As it is, bookmarks supported by mobile apps are meant to give some sort of list of favorites for you in the app.

Still thinking how to make similar feature for the web without requiring accounts and registration, don't really wanna deal with that.

2) Rating system comes up pretty much every year, and so far I hesitate to put my own ratings on them and there's no real consensus either. A steel can be 10 for one application and 3 for another, add there geometry, ht, environment, etc. I'm unsure how to translate all that to reliable/objective criteria.

Once I manage to finish next major update, which should allow more flexible user properties, I'll introduce a system for the users to add their own comments and properties to alloy names. May be that can help. I.e. you could mark steel as stainless, tool steel or whatever other category you define.
That then can be shared/imported if desired, so if someone classifies steels and you like if you can import that data and have it that way, that's the rough idea. But I'm open to suggestions :)