Knife steels.

I've been looking at some Ontario fixed blade and appearantly they use a lot of different steels. Between 1075, 1095, and 5160 what is the best from best to worse and what are they good for? Also been looking at a rat 2 because I love the rat 1 but it is a bit bulky in the pocket. I like the aus 8 because of the ease of sharpening. How is the d2? I know it's a harder steel but is it easy or a pain to sharpen compared to aus 8?

I don't subscribe to higher wear resistant materials being harder to sharpen, they just take longer. If ease/quickness of sharpening is a trait you like stick with Aus8 it's a good steel just like d2. Just different characteristics.

I've heard good things of d2 but also heard it's a really hard steel that takes a while to sharpen. Also, never thought of sharpening knives in that way. Thanks for the perspective.

Spyderco has some excellent commentary about steels, steel-making, alloys and a whole lot more in its annual catalogue, which you can download for free.

Also been looking at a rat 2 because I love the rat 1 but it is a bit bulky in the pocket. I like the aus 8 because of the ease of sharpening. How is the d2? I know it's a harder steel but is it easy or a pain to sharpen compared to aus 8?
Rat in d2 is ht to 58hrc so it's easier to sharpen than D2 at 60+

With sic or diamonds it's fast.

But aus8 is even easier to sharpen with most abrasives

Last edited:
5160 is a very tough steel, used for car springs at lower hardness. At typical knife hardness levels, 55ish-RC, it makes a good chopping knife that can take a lot of abuse. In a smaller knife, you really wouldn't notice much difference in performance as compared to any other quality carbon steel. My personal favorite for axes and chopping knives.

1095 is a very good all-around alloy. I have small personal fixed blades as well as 10" chopping knives in this steel, it's quite good in any size blade, as long as the heat-treat is done well.

1075 is another good steel for large outdoors tools, very tough stuff, but is not as good at edge-holding as 5160 or 1095.

D2 is considered semi-stainless, with only about 12% chromium in the alloy. Takes and holds a really good edge. As was said, it's not really difficult to sharpen, it just takes a little longer. It's best not to let it get too dull in the first place, regular touch-ups will be far more effective, although this is true for any alloy.

AUS-8 is a Japanese alloy generally similar to the 440-type stainless steels. Although it is another good all-around alloy, it's not held in particularly high regard by many, especially around here. But, this doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it. It's a utilitarian steel, not a boutique alloy. It is reasonably tough for a stainless steel, edge-holding is about average, and as noted, it is generally pretty easy to sharpen. I like this one best in folders.

There's no such thing as a bad knife steel. If an alloy can be hardened above about 54-55RC, it will make a perfectly serviceable knife. Edge geometry and heat-treatment are more important than the alloy used.

I think I'll go with aus 8 because im used to case CV which takes me about 7 minutes to sharpen it from dull to hair popping sharp.

I think I'll go with aus 8 because im used to case CV which takes me about 7 minutes to sharpen it from dull to hair popping sharp.

Case CV is 1095, which in my opion is closer to D2 than AUS-8, if that is what you are basing your decision on. Case SS is 420HC, which I would place closer to AUS-8 than a tool steel.

AUS8 is stainless, the others you mentioned are carbon steels. D2 has just below the level of chromium to be considered stainless, for this reason it is classified as semi-stainless but it will corrode is neglected. D2 will outclass the others in terms of edge retention but will also take longer to sharpen. Unless you really like the knife, I would probably avoid 1075.
1095 and 5160 are terrific steels that sharpen up easy and are very tough.

Back