Knife storage...

I just got another reminder of the all too rapidly advancing years... another annual Medicare 'wellness' exam safety questionnaire. Question six, "Do you keep knives or other sharp objects put away in a safe place?", got me to wonder. WTH? Sure, I am responsible enough to lock my display cases when little ones visit - but this invasive question is 'for my safety'!(?) I wonder, just how do most folks secure their knives when they are not in use? For years, I have recycled my wife's collection display cases for my knives, even buying/making display holders for most of my fb knives and some of my larger folders. I am proud of my collection and enjoy displaying them - but now I must 'put them away in a safe place'?

What do others do to make their fb and folder knife collection 'safe'?

Stainz

13c011a959c7333176b533451516564d.jpg

I store mine in my gun safe. The dividers I have made were made in several different stages and married together as the collection has grown.

I'm still mystified over the Medicare questionnaire asking an adult such an insulting question.

I'm still mystified over the Medicare questionnaire asking an adult such an insulting question.

This mystifies you? Because at some point someone who should have known better did something stupid and made everyone in a particular group (knife aficionados over the age of 65) look bad. "The phone rang and when I went to answer it I stabbed myself in the head."

I store my EDC knives in my pocket(s) and belt sheath (Buck 110)

The knives I am not carrying are kept in their boxes, until they get rotated into that weeks/months EDC.

The knives I've bought but have not been home yet to get, are kept in their boxes, inside a (much) larger box, on a top shelf in the closet, by my brother.

I store mine in my gun safe. The dividers I have made were made in several different stages and married together as the collection has grown.

That's awesome! What did you use? Is that wood covered with fabric?

Last year, my young doc read questions for me to answer, including, "Do you have any firearms stored in your home?". This was particularly humorous since my pocket fare, including my BM 755 MPR, S&W 642 .38, and car keys had just been emptied from my pockets as I stepped on his scales. I answered, "The patient was unresponsive.". I see him at a sporting goods store occasionally - and brought him a box of Fed 'AutoMatch' .22's on my last visit. I guess now I have to safely 'store' all of my sharp things... I guess that includes my saws and chisels... turning tools... carving tools... NONSENSE! I would need a room sized safe!

Nice knife storage, Spydesense!

Stainz

You are right, it is an insulting question. Very PC too. Keep in mind, though, that many of those in Government feel that you and I are not smart enough to run our own lives and that they have to protect us from ourselves.

As far as storage goes....My daughter is grown and I don't have grandkids yet, so I have nothing to worry about how my knives are stored. Most of my folders (and a few fixed blades) are stored in the spare bedroom so they are out of the way. Bayonets/fixed blade knives are in a plastic tool box safely stored in my work shop/storage shed or with the spare tire in the back of my Forester.

What the heck does your check up have to do with tool storage? I've had doctors ask me if I have firearms in the house, to which my answer was that "I will neither confirm nor deny having firearms." That being said, I store my bladed tools in an oak machinists tool chest. Felt lined top compartment, and many nice drawers of different sizes. It locks also.

That's awesome! What did you use? Is that wood covered with fabric?

Thanks BlackKnight! It's pretty much 3/4" boards with 1/4" plywood. Some of them, not all, have non skid stuff made for tool box drawers. That is literally a 5 stage set-up glued together, with no blueprint, obviously...lol. You can see that on the top, and final stage, I used a different color cause I didn't have any of the other paint left.

I appreciate it, Stainz!

I picked up a storage chest at a garage sale. Think I got it around $75. It does have a lock but I don't have any kids around.

The top shelf, I lined with soft cloth used to wax cars with. I picked those up from the dollar store so I can have a nice display when opened. The bottom I use for storage, boxes sheathes, batteries, etc...

Mine also doubles as my coffee table.

76b82afd483f0eeeee2e4f3ff6aabf37.jpg

10ac02e7df54d365e2db330770b5e3de.jpg

The anti-gun and anti-knife people are the most dangerous group around! They have little to no experience with either tool. I know of no anti-gunner who has taken a gun safety course so that they know how to make a found gun safe.

When people ask me questions they have no right to, I just say no. Lie to a cop? Heck no. Lie to a doctor asking non-medical questions? Certainly.

The first rule of anti-theft training is not to let people know you have something to steal.

As for storage: You need to keep knives away from children of course (and drunk friends) but apart from that it is up to you. Have a bunch of $300 customs? You might want a safe secured to the wall. Have a bunch of users and flea market finds? You might be happy with just a Rubbermaid bin. As for small locked boxes, they scream "steal me!" to theives. For home invasion security, you don't want swords and such within easy reach in the living room while you are sleeping in the bedroom.

Last edited:

Nice work; I like this idea. Someone gave me a William Henry display case as a gift, and it's a shame since I really have no plans on keeping my good knives out on display so it stays in the safe. Maybe one day when I fix up a man cave and grow a pair...

Back