Knife Suggestion for Canadian?

Hello. This is my first post here on bladeforums, so please let me know if this topic should be in a different sub-forum.

I am from Canada, and I will likely be going to Virginia for studies, which will begin in the fall. I usually carry a knife everyday, and I would like to do so when I go to the US as well. However, I am not familiar with knife laws in Virginia, and with the new rules that CBSA has place for knives coming into Canada, things are extremely hectic.

Would anyone here know of a folding pocket knife that would be compliant with Virginia laws and would also make it past the Canadian border (for when I visit home occasionally) when considering Canada's latest ridiculous restrictions? Thanks for your time.

This is my honest answer with knowing nothing about you. In general, a high-speed low-drag super tactical folder might, (maybe) just a little bit, might make you think its going to be useful for defending yourself, and you might take a risk that you otherwise would not because of it. In general, a SAK with the tools you will use, or a small multi like a leatherman juice will do just fine, and for crossing borders, its far easier to deal with. All other considerations aside, that's the direction I'd go for now, as a small SAK or multi, even in places that it might be frowned upon, you'll get a lot more grace than something that is just on the hair of legal but scary.

Back