knife thongs

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by flashcan556, Sep 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murdamook

Murdamook

Nov 3, 2010
    I use one so my underwear lines don't print.

palonej and BellaBlades like this.
  2. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Sanity Not Included Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Huh. I'm actually right by the mag mile. 7 am MRI at Northwestern.

I donated my thongs to Goodwill.

WValtakis, danbot and The Aflac Duck like this.
  3. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    upload_2019-9-7_7-56-16.jpeg

chiral.grolim and BellaBlades like this.
  4. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Thanks @Sonnydaze and I do like what I call a bobtail fob, especially on fixed blades that have limited amount of the handle exposed from the sheath, like the one I made on this very nice @john april knife he made, very nice work and a great cutter!

[​IMG]IMG_6955 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

and for some folders as well, some clipped others in the pocket and it aids in locating and drawing the knife out, in this shot is a nice EDC by @Nathan the Machinist also a very fine knife :)

[​IMG]IMG_4560 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

palonej, The Aflac Duck and fonedork like this.
  5. craytab

craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    There are indeed lots of threads on this subject! The search function is your friend...

6. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Very popular in our cowboy world. I've had hundreds of customers ask for them and never had one ask not to have one. All my knives (except kitchen knives and some filet knives) have them.

[​IMG]

I try to get my sheaths to have pretty strong retention. The thong/lanyard/string/fob/thingy helps with the draw. in the pic above the upper line of stitching outlines the upper edge of the welt in the sheath. The finger guard of the knife has to ride up and over that cam so to speak to get in and out. There is an audible "klunk" noise when putting the knife all the way into the sheath. The thong/lanyard/string/fob/thingy is almost necessary for the draw. This kind of retention is necessary for us horseback. Bout 15 years ago I saw the wife get bucked off. Her knife went flying bout two jumps before she did. This is what got me going on the retention deal and getting it right in my sheaths. Couple weeks ago I saw her come off for the first time since. Her knife did not go flying and neither did her pistol. Gun was sure dirty afterwards though. Anyhoo we need that kind of retention and the thong (thats what we call it too) really helps with getting your knife out.

Here's a little video that shows what I'm talking about:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtKcsUfjAeM/

[​IMG]

My wife putting them on:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Truth be told I got bucked off for the first time in 15 years too, a week before she did. Didn't lose my knife either. George my horse wasn't having any part of Sophia that day. Sophia is one of the neighbors dogs and she came running to see us like she always does. She'll jump up on the side of George so I can pet her and George is cool with it. Only this time she appeared out of a creek bed at about 70mph (which is her normal speed), right at George's feet AND she'd just had surgery AND she had this huge bright blue inflatable doughnut thing around her neck to keep her from licking her stitches. George said what the f... is that!!?? Whirled, two jumps and splat. Didn't lose my knife though. Took a while to find some air to breath though, all that oxygen out there and can't find none for a while.

7. DB_Cruiser

DB_Cruiser

Jul 17, 2018
    I tend to remove clips from knives and pocket carry in a slip. A fob helps me grab just the knife without having to rummage through keys and change. If I am belt carrying, I favor a 4 or 8 o'clock position, depending on the knife and my activities. As such, a fob is helpful for pulling the knife without a distracting rearward glance. I do not use lanyards or fobs on swinging tools like machetes and axes. If I lose my grip on one of those, I'd rather it keep moving away from me than to come swinging back at me.

8. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Wow, glad you're safe Dave, that must have happened in a blink too I bet! and a lovely crop of lanyards growing there too ;)
    G2

9. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Thanks Gary. One of my mentors years ago told me: "Dave, when I was younger I use to get bucked off and I'd bounce right back into the saddle, now its all I can do to crawl to the top of the divot." I didn't much understand at the time but I do now! Not sure it was whole blink either, might of been just a partial blink. George has three times in the past tried to buck me off but I got him rode. This time not so much. Can't say I really hold it against him though. Was some scary (to a horse) stuff going on for sure. Here he is in a middle of a branding, we're holding down a bawling calf, lots of noise, smoke, stuff going on and George is......well..... taking a nap.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  10. Dfunk1210

Dfunk1210

Apr 7, 2015
    I’ve come across several knives in my time with absolutely horrible clips that for whatever reason made drawing the knife absolutely impossible. These knives absolutely need a lanyard. But outside this, I’ve found lanyards to just be in the way. I have tried it several times because I wanted to add a personal touch to my knife but for me, it is just not worth the hassle of having a lanyard dangle out of my pocket.

11. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Napping at work? George is my kind of horse!

12. craytab

craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    Watched the video. That's good to see what you are doing with leather sheath retention! I've never been a fan of leather because of retention concerns. You solution looks perfect.

Horsewright likes this.
  13. flashcan556

flashcan556

Aug 31, 2019
    did a thing today, first thong on a knife that cant be waved anyway...
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.