1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Knife tip strength

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by legato1, Feb 3, 2016.

1. DeadboxHero

DeadboxHero

Mar 22, 2014
    Tip strength is the least important quality of a knife. I'm never going to use any folding knife that way in the real world.

However.
    I do enjoy watching someone pushing their knife to the breaking point.

Really appeals to my inner caveman.

"Caveman cool"

2. asdf12345

asdf12345

Jul 4, 2014
    ---------

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  3. legato1

legato1

Sep 8, 2006
    Funny thing is, i had a leatherman style on my keychain in my pocket.... oh well.

4. Kwon Kwang

Kwon Kwang

Jul 7, 2013
    I'm with you on that, man. While I am a firm believer in using the right tool for the job, I like a strong tip that I know will survive my silly antics. A strong tip can also be thin and conducive to good cutting geometry.

I do love a narrow tip for detail work, though...and the way OP fixed his PM2 tip almost looks like new! :thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  5. Aleous

Aleous

Aug 24, 2013
    This is why you get a knife with a tanto tip.....just kidding...:p

6. CapitalizedLiving

CapitalizedLiving

Dec 1, 2007
    This deserved to be quoted.

7. legato1

legato1

Sep 8, 2006
    If only i could afford one.... one day....

8. Trabireiter

Trabireiter

Mar 10, 2008
    The knife just evolved. You needed a flathead screwdriver - so the blade became a flathead screwdriver, but you grinded it away ;)

9. uofaengr

uofaengr

Jan 9, 2014
    Not saying I'd do the same, but I appreciate seeing someone not afraid to abuse one of these sprints, and you got a great attitude about it too. [emoji106]

10. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Shoot, looks like an opportunity to drop the point a bit on that blade. A minute on the grinder and good as new.

I've had knives returned to me like that after being borrowed.

11. Moondrop

Moondrop

Sep 19, 2001
    This made me LOL. :D

12. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Noooooooooooooooooo! :eek:

No worries about the knife. They are tools. Use 'em and fix 'em like you did.

But S&W wheel guns are works of art. It's hard to not scratch up surfaces and mangle screw heads even with perfectly sized screwdrivers. For your punishment and to help you feel the pain when you drink, you must send that 327 to me for safe keeping (and a little love). Please contact me for FFL transfer instructions. :D

13. adubbz

adubbz

Nov 24, 2011
    I have a knife that I broke the tip on doing something stupid :rolleyes: .. How exactly do you go about making a new tip? You just used sandpaper to reshape the edge? Do you touch the spine at all?

14. jazub

jazub Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Good job working it out to your satisfaction.

I have broken and/or deformed tips less delicate than that of a Spyderco. Sucked and on some occasions it was entirely my fault. That said, I remain in the camp of preferring a more robust tip on a blade because it is less likely to snap or deform on hidden staples, unseen metals, rock, concrete etc. The fact of the matter is that a knife will be used for more than fine cutting. And sometimes stuff just happens. Sure, it can be reground but I prefer never needing to.

Good news: looks like you now have a more robust tip.

15. legato1

legato1

Sep 8, 2006
    Some people bring the edge up to meet the spine and re profile, but i find that to be too much trouble. I just sand the spine down until it meets the original edge. If your lazy you can give it a robust reverse tanto and call it done, but i just take my time and get it lined up with the spine for a more factory appearance and a fine tip. Belt sanders are good for the hogging, but go slow and quench often. I then use higher grit wet dry paper and hand sanding to give the spine a nicer finish so it doesn't have a bunch of low grit scratches from the grinder or sander.