Knife vs Tools guys

I am slowly figuring out I must be a tool guy and not a knife guy (I carry a Leatherman Wave during work and a SAK Tinker/Rambler after work and on the weekends).

I bring this up because I see these guys using huge modern folders to strip wire, trying to turn a screw, as pry bars, and they love cutting cardboard! I don't want to laugh but some of it is comical to me. I could get by with my Wave or Tinker if I had to but if I am cutting that much cardboard I am going to use a Stanley utility knife with replaceable blades. Opening a bag of chips with a Spyderco Para 3 or some Katana sword looking knife is hard to take serious.

I do enjoy looking at all the cool traditional knives and could see myself carrying one if I had some keychain tools. I am not into modern knives really but I get why modern knives are handy and good like if you are on a ladder or for extended heavy duty cutting but I think some if these applications are a little ridiculous and maybe even dangerous. I'm not trying to pick on anybody just some of my thoughts.

I'm odd. Tool guy, knife guy.

I was always taught to use the right tool for the job.

There's a reason I have a tool kit. And multi-functional things like SAKs and other multi-tools. And knives. And box cutters. And scrappers.

Multi-tools of whatever flavor are good when you can't/ don't use the proper tool for whatever reason. As long as they're used within their capability and the user's ability to control the tool and stay safe.

I don't use sharp blades as pry bars or screwdrivers.

IMHO and YMMV

Yep, there are a lot of tactical fantasies here.

On the other hand, I think a lot of it is just appreciation for a knife that is seen first and foremost as a work of art. But then the owner feels guilty about it and presses it into service doing all these things that a "lesser" knife could do.

One thing I have to admit though is that SAKs and multitools usually have soft blade steels; use it a few times for any kind of hard cutting and the edge is gone. Leatherman started to catch onto this with the Charge Al and Charge Ti and their 154CM plain blades, but then seemed to drop the ball again. I guess 420HC really is good enough for the muggles.

Last year, I splashed out and bought a Spyderco Native in Maxamet steel. (Rc 70 vs. Rc 54 of a SAK) It is AMAZING. I've cut down so many boxes with it and it is still sharp. It kicks the crap out of a utility knife. In that duty, a disposable blade would only get through a few boxes before being hopelessly dull.

I firmly believe that if Victorinox supplied a properly hard small blade on most of their knives, they would soon rule the world. But they're too busy putting out different color Alox and different artwork on Classics to notice what real knife aficionados want.

Yep, there are a lot of tactical fantasies here.

On the other hand, I think a lot of it is just appreciation for a knife that is seen first and foremost as a work of art. But then the owner feels guilty about it and presses it into service doing all these things that a "lesser" knife could do......

Last year, I splashed out and bought a Spyderco Native in Maxamet steel. (Rc 70 vs. Rc 54 of a SAK) It is AMAZING. I've cut down so many boxes with it and it is still sharp. It kicks the crap out of a utility knife. In that duty, a disposable blade would only get through a few boxes before being hopelessly dull.

That is an interesting perspective I hadn't considered. Some of these guys are probably trying to justify the money they spent and get upset when a $20 SAK can turn a screw and their $200 folder can't. That may be one of my biases with the cardboard cutting as I just don't typically cut boxes up into a million little pieces but I do get your point that the steel in modern folders is superior for pure cutting tasks no doubt. I would buy a SAK with a better steel blade and scales if they made it but the vast majority of the public doesn't seem to care enough for Victorinox to do that.

I think people also use what's on them, whether it's appropriate or not. If I don't expect anything, I usually don't have a multi-tool except my Victorinox money clip.
But yeah, I'd use a utility knife for boxes. I even sharpen utility blades when I'm done using my oil stones!

I think that Victorinox is the biggest knife company in the world, so they don't see a lot of reason to change. Like Case they've found that putting new covers on existing models make a lot of money without retooling.
I would buy a bunch of 74mm Vic with a good steel though - especially if they'd stop over polishing and rounding off those bits. That's my second gripe.

I've come and gone in the wave of knife vs multi-tool... I still carry traditional folders, but I can't stand having a multi-tool nearby. So, yes, I guess that I'm also a tool guy first; it just so happens that the knife blade is very much a useful tool in the kit.

In fact, I'm so much a tool guy that I'm working toward a bladeless SAK multitool that I can use when air-traveling. More on that once it is done!

IMO, there’s nothing at all wrong with a knife guy using his one-hand opening knife to break down boxes for the recycle bin, and other cutting chores. It’s a knife, after all, and many do it very well.

OTOH, there are those who insist on only carrying one knife as their only tool, that has to be able to do EVERYTHING that you might need a tool for, and who possibly scorn the idea of an SAK. I’ve seen videos of guys using their high-dollar one-handers opening cans, because “You never know when you’ll need to in a survival situation, and you’ve only got your knife.” Then saying, “See? Barely any edge damage, just some scratches on the finish!” When in fact, a simple SAK can opener would have accomplished the same “feat” much faster, safer, more cleanly cut, and more hygienically than the single-purpose knife. And a basic 2-layer SAK isn’t even a burden to carry in the pocket.

Or opening a bottle with the edge of a knife, when again, it can be accomplished much safer and more easily with the SAK bottle opener.

Or using the single-bladed folding knife as a screwdriver or a pry bar.

Otherwise, I see nothing wrong with someone enjoying the use of their knife doing knife-related tasks. If I have LOTS of cardboard to break down, I usually use my Stanley knife, but sometimes I enjoy using a one-handed knife as well, many of which accomplish the task very comfortably.

Jim

IMO, there’s nothing at all wrong with a knife guy using his one-hand opening knife to break down boxes for the recycle bin, and other cutting chores. It’s a knife, after all, and many do it very well.

OTOH, there are those who insist on only carrying one knife as their only tool, that has to be able to do EVERYTHING that you might need a tool for, and who possibly scorn the idea of an SAK. I’ve seen videos of guys using their high-dollar one-handers opening cans, because “You never know when you’ll need to in a survival situation, and you’ve only got your knife.” Then saying, “See? Barely any edge damage, just some scratches on the finish!” When in fact, a simple SAK can opener would have accomplished the same “feat” much faster, safer, more cleanly cut, and more hygienically than the single-purpose knife. And a basic 2-layer SAK isn’t even a burden to carry in the pocket.

Or opening a bottle with the edge of a knife, when again, it can be accomplished much safer and more easily with the SAK bottle opener.

Or using the single-bladed folding knife as a screwdriver or a pry bar.

Otherwise, I see nothing wrong with someone enjoying the use of their knife doing knife-related tasks. If I have LOTS of cardboard to break down, I usually use my Stanley knife, but sometimes I enjoy using a one-handed knife as well, many of which accomplish the task very comfortably.

Completely agree! And one more... Many of those are also the ones that need their knives to be made of super-dupper-unbreakable steel because the blade edge has to withstand all of that abuse. Sure, sometimes abuse of a knife is justified if that is all one has, but it is always preferable to have the right tool for the job.

Personally I hate utility knives. The don't last long and you have to carry extra blades they break. My biggest problem is blade length sucks on utility knives its easier to cut what I cut with a longer blade and it keeps me farther away from what I'm cutting.

I don't like alot of multi tools because they are not great at their job. I carry a dedicated set of pliers instead and folding screw drivers suck to actually use. Im a tool guy and a knife guy as stated.

I carry everyday 1 6 inch channellock a 6 inch crescent wrench/knipex plier wrench im trying out now , a compact screwdriver a m4 manix , Northfield 2 blade 77 Barlow , a pen and small flashlight. I work in a zinc mine/mill. I realize not everyone is like me and respect what they are accustomed.20201007_130529.jpg

One of the first things I did after getting my own car was to put together a small tool box/kit to keep inside. I considered it very prudent to do so. It was used more than once and was always glad I had the foresight to keep such things available. Prior to buying my own new car, the cars I drove (generally family hand me downs) were always developing a problem of one sort or another. Cars weren't as reliable in those days and I do not look back fondly at the days of driving a car 50-60K and it was essentially worn out or falling apart.... 100K was nearly a miracle. Never want to go back to that world. (Thank you Japan!) Cars are so reliable these days that I don't even carry a took kit with me any more and haven't for the last 20 years. But I do routinely carry a pliers based multi-tool inside my pickup and it gets used. (But not to repair the pickup.)

Knife vs tool guy.... I was probably a tool guy in my younger days and became a knife guy. I did carry a knife most of the time then. Now, I routinely carry a SAK which could be called a tool. I am also a big fan of the small needle nosed and pliers (like above). They used to call the small pliers ignition pliers. I started carrying one of those 40 years ago after my boss suggested it and I saw the utility.

Never have been a big utility knife user (with the disposable blades). About the only time I use them are for boxes when there a quite a few or to cut carpet. The rest of the time I use a knife. I would use a knife on carpet but hate hitting unseen nails, tacks, and staples with a knife blade. I break down a box maybe two three times a week and don't generally need a utility knife for such. But if I worked in a warehouse or shipping department, it would be different. As a young man, I did in fact work in a warehouse and loading and unloading trucks was a common activity.

I can see the leaning toward better steel which retains a edge longer with use. Modern knives definitely have their place and a higher grade of steel is common with them in comparison to slip joints. I have been there and back.... now it is SAK time for me. I'll deal with the sharpening issue as needed and have no problem with sharpening. With the soft steel, saks sharpen quickly.

A knife is a tool or to me it is. I have found my knives work far better for scoring wires than and such specialized tool on a Leatherman, SAK, or dedicated tool. Wire stripper tools are still better suited than a knife for many reasons but I am likely to score it first with my knife then strip it. I have many tools and love my tools but I love my knives too so I guess I am a bit of both. I would never abuse my knives and use them for tasks they aren't for i.e. as a pry bar so anything abusing a knife to me is silly. I have and will use my knife to up anything open which needs to be cut open no matter how ridiculous it may seem since it is my primary cutting tool.

One of the first things I did after getting my own car was to put together a small tool box/kit to keep inside. I considered it very prudent to do so. It was used more than once and was always glad I had the foresight to keep such things available. Prior to buying my own new car, the cars I drove (generally family hand me downs) were always developing a problem of one sort or another. Cars weren't as reliable in those days and I do not look back fondly at the days of driving a car 50-60K and it was essentially worn out or falling apart.... 100K was nearly a miracle. Never want to go back to that world. (Thank you Japan!) Cars are so reliable these days that I don't even carry a took kit with me any more and haven't for the last 20 years. But I do routinely carry a pliers based multi-tool inside my pickup and it gets used. (But not to repair the pickup.)

Knife vs tool guy.... I was probably a tool guy in my younger days and became a knife guy. I did carry a knife most of the time then. Now, I routinely carry a SAK which could be called a tool. I am also a big fan of the small needle nosed and pliers (like above). They used to call the small pliers ignition pliers. I started carrying one of those 40 years ago after my boss suggested it and I saw the utility.

Never have been a big utility knife user (with the disposable blades). About the only time I use them are for boxes when there a quite a few or to cut carpet. The rest of the time I use a knife. I would use a knife on carpet but hate hitting unseen nails, tacks, and staples with a knife blade. I break down a box maybe two three times a week and don't generally need a utility knife for such. But if I worked in a warehouse or shipping department, it would be different. As a young man, I did in fact work in a warehouse and loading and unloading trucks was a common activity.

I can see the leaning toward better steel which retains a edge longer with use. Modern knives definitely have their place and a higher grade of steel is common with them in comparison to slip joints. I have been there and back.... now it is SAK time for me. I'll deal with the sharpening issue as needed and have no problem with sharpening. With the soft steel, saks sharpen quickly.

I guess this is what I meant. I don't mean to sound to old timely and everything but when I see guys using knives to strip electrical wire or turn a screw I think they could end up hurting themselves. The cardboard cutting just is kinda funny to me because when I worked in a grocery store I used a simple box cutter and I guess I just laugh when I see a Sebenza chopping up boxes but hey if they enjoy that more power to them.

Actually I am learning a lot from reading these comments and really I don't mean to offend anyone. I'm sure if I worked where Goose did I would want a Manix too and it would make sense to have one.

I work in print shop (small and large format) and we also have two webshops. We ship out orders and receive shipments that includes lot of cardboard. Biggest carboard boxes are for meter tall street stands that need to be cut down for cardboard recycling. Even the smaller boxes are better either stomped on or cut to manageable sizes. I could also imagine warehouses or industrial jobs requiring such use.

I like Victorinox but their steel is really weak for cardboard. So yeah, some people actually need cardboard cutters. Maybe you don’t and need to ”be amused” but I need that kind of knife.

And utility knives are fine, but most of them are too short bladed and the actual edges are weak. My current favorite cardboard cutter is the douk-douk.

I can honestly say that in all the time I've been carrying knives I've never used one as a screwdriver. That never made sense to me even as a testosterone driven adolescent. I bought my first Leatherman at about 15 to work on the farm, and just recently switched to an sak and dedicated pliers. I have no problem stripping wire with a pocket knife, because to me that's a cutting task, and about the only prying I've ever done with a knife is an occasional staple. I still cringe when I see how some of my buddies treat their knives... But to them I'm the crazy one.

I certainly use pocket knives to pry out staples, large and small. I will generally get a real screw driver to pry out a large staple that doesn't come out readily. I have been tempted to use a knife as a screw driver a time or two, but I guess that's why I carry a SAK for their versatility. I have owned pliers based multi-tools since around 1990. I honestly had never really seen one until then and picked up a Gerber at the Blade Show. Afterwards, I was scratching my head... will I ever use this thing? It was cool, but.... I never used it.... Well, 30 years later I finally actually use pliers based multi-tools. The little LM Squirt gets used the most. But I have a number of them readily available and still have that Gerber.

Wire strippers make me nervous and as a result, I generally use a knife (carefully).

You're a smart man! It's about the correct tool for the job. A knife blade is made to separate material, not be used as a crowbar.

Only in very specific circumstances will I ever pry with a knife.
One time, I was in need of fuel. My wife's gas lid would not open on her SUV. I was forced to pry it open with my knife, which I HATED to do. I did so, very carefully!
Fortunately, I had my Recon 1 on me at the time (I've since gifted that knife away) which handled the stuck fuel door.

Outside of that, my knives are meant to cut, not pry!

Back