• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Knifeless SAK please...

Greetings all. My niece of 9 years expressed interest in an SAK. I' ve let her handle one of my smaller ones with the proper supervision of course. I' d like to give her one as a gift soon and thought it would be a good idea to find a small one *without* a knife blade. Does anyone know of a model currently or soon to be on the market? Please, no discussions on whether or not she' s ready for a knife blade. Thanks.

L8r,
Nakano

------------------
"To earn a million is easy, a real friend is not."

I have seen one without a knife blade but it comes with the watches I dont know how else you could get it. Or there is the Swiss card it has a letter opener but I don't think it is sharp.

Got a Dremel? You should get the one you want and just remove the knife blade. Just make sure you round off the stub. I think that would work fine.
Nick

I think simply dulling the blade is a good idea. Later on, it can be sharpened back up.

Spencer

PS Brings back memories. I recieved my first knife from Dad on my 10th birthday. I've carried it ever since, and have it my pocket right now.

Dulling the blade seems like a good idea -- really blunting it, making it like a butter knife. It'll still be useful for some purposes, like spreading peanut butter, and you can resharpen it someday. That could be a great first "knife" for small kids -- excuse me, I gotta run out and buy some SAKs....

-Cougar Allen :{)

Victorinox advertised a bladeless knife a couple of years ago. It was a Clasic with another tool, maybe a bottle opener, in place of the blade. I remember seeing pictures of it but last night I couldn't find it on the Swiss Army Brands or the Victorinox web sites. Must have been discontinued.

------------------
Frank
jqsurf@worldnet.att.net

Frank is right. I gave my daughter one when she was about 9 but she lost it. It is basicly the Classic without the knife blade, just the scissors and nailfile/screwdriver tool.

phantom4

------------------
who dares, wins

I say, give her a fully functional, sharp SAK. She's nine years old, right? That's old enough to be a Cub Scout in most jurisdictions.

Of course, she's not your kid, right? Hmm. Tough call. Better to let Mom and Dad decide. A blunted SAK is better than none at all. If your niece is like most people, her pre-blunted blade won't be much duller than the average knife anyway, eventually, right?

David Rock

It is really called the Bladeless Knife. It has a bottle opener tool w/small flat screwdriver and what Victorinox calls a wire stripper, a scissors tool, an ink pen that actually works, and tweasers that don't work.

Thanks all for the suggestions and info. So, does anyone know where I can locate the Bladeless Knife?

Also. I remember a few years back of an SAK with a red LED light with an activation button on one of the scales. And it sported a sheepsfoot/ wharncliffe blade! Perhaps a good compromise? I think it was made for the Scouts??

Thanks Frank. I' m no computer whiz but I' m not a dummy either but how the H**L does one find a description and price for that Bladeless knife shown on the opening page!!?? Arrrggghhh!!!

L8r,
Nakano

A quick check of the page code (Microsoft Frontpage 3.0) fails to reveal a link. Looks like someone left it out.

An email to them should help get ordering information as well as let them know the page needs a little help.

Nakano 2,

I really wanted to help you because I would be helping myself in the process. I have 3 children with 2 ready for 'bladeless' knives. I'm not up to speed on what used to be available and what is available from Victorinox or Wenger so I did a internet search and came up with this site: http://www.imprintonline.com/New-hot/knife.html

They have no price list also so not much help. Here's a picture of what they have:
knife.jpg

I did find an interesting source for SAK info at http://www.swissarmy.com I think this was posted in another thread before.

I did find a signature line from the search for myself finally.

Got it from this website http://www.ragweedforge.com/kniv.html

I'll check this thread once in a while to see what you get your niece.

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

[This message has been edited by David Williams (edited 18 July 1999).]

Any more info on these or other bladeless knives? I would like to get something for my son. He likes knives but is not old enough for one with a sharp blade yet. A SAK with some tools and no blade would be good for him. I had considered getting him one and cutting off the blade or dulling it as mentioned before.

------------------
-Dennis-

Back