goose=single one
geese=more than one goose.....

moose=single one
meese=more than one moose? WHY NOT????

knife=single one
knives=more than one knife

Originally posted by george tichbourne
Colonials!

Those of us who still speak the proper Queen's English call them knives. That is unless the government gets involved and then it is couteaux to satisfy the Quebecois.

Sir George,
I almost forgot to ask...are the Quebecois ever satified? It is never, ever "knives" in Quebec, it is ALWAYS "couteaux".:mad:

You'd never know today that the English actually won the French AND Indian war.

The best frenchmen in the world are in Louisiana but in all fairness they did pass through Nova Scotia first. :D

Craig

Originally posted by C L Wilkins
Sir George,
I almost forgot to ask...are the Quebecois ever satified? It is never, ever "knives" in Quebec, it is ALWAYS "couteaux".:mad:

You'd never know today that the English actually won the French AND Indian war.

The best frenchmen in the world are in Louisiana but in all fairness they did pass through Nova Scotia first. :D

Craig

This will raze an eye brow
Many from Quebec that come down here
(most >>I've come in contact with, But not all)
are very rude :mad:
(I'm on the border of Canada.)
etiquette always was, if you could speak the
language and the majority was what ever language,
you spoke that of the majority in public.
I don't care if your in Quebec or
the US.
it's very rude to do other wise, I didn't do anything to them..
:( :grumpy: no offence guy's just a pet peeve.

In Quebec or New Brunswick I always start out with a few words of French to at least indicate I am trying but I run out of my retained French quickly and have to resort to English and hand signals eventually.

Robert Heinlein noted in one of his books that the ability to say please and thankyou in the local language is essential in any civilized society...."Podcane of Mars".

Back