KnifeWorks Exclusive Military - CTS-204P and dark green G10

Clarification. The OP said the blade was 0.020" thick. Is that at the edge? If that is the blade thickness at the spine (i.e. blade total thickness.), that is really thin. An 1/8" thick blade is 0.125" or 6 times
thicker.
Ron Athay

Clarification. The OP said the blade was 0.020" thick. Is that at the edge? If that is the blade thickness at the spine (i.e. blade total thickness.), that is really thin. An 1/8" thick blade is 0.125" or 6 times
thicker.
Ron Athay

....yes. That is behind the edge. If you look at specs, or the pictures in my post, the blade is clearly not two hundredths of an inch thick.

Just got mine, and man did they knock it out of the park with this one.
204P is as good as it gets, and this green looks MUCH better than I thought it would.
I've had them all, and this combo is by far my favorite G10 Military of them all.

Just got mine, and man did they knock it out of the park with this one.
204P is as good as it gets, and this green looks MUCH better than I thought it would.
I've had them all, and this combo is by far my favorite G10 Military of them all.

You can say that again! Mine is PERFECT!

IMG_3240_zpsqxl7zhbx.jpg

IMG_3238_zpsltoxqc7l.jpg

Although the Ti Militaries are among my favorite knives off all-time , the liner lock variants do nothing for me (I'm just not a liner lock fan). That being said , if I were to buy a liner lock Military I'd be all over the green G10/204P combo like stink on a monkey. Looks great.

The mailman brought me some toys today. The Military, as has already been mentioned several times, is amazing. The Domino is fantastic. And the ZT ain't too shabby either. Love 'em!
My evening chore is to find my camera (got lost in a recent move), so I can take some reasonable pics.

Just got mine too. Perfect in every way except one - the blade isn't perfectly centered when closed. Everything else though, perfection out of the box!

did not grab it a few days ago when it was on sale. Instead got a hinderer. kind of regretting because with the money on the hinderer I could get the 204p millie and a BM 940-1501, which was on sale too. Well, I hope they will be on sale coming this thxgiving.

The color and steel and both great updgrades on the standard millie. I bought one at $180. If the pricing falls closer in line with regular Spyderco prices, I'd buy another.

At current pricing, a lot of people may struggle to justify it when they can get a s110v millie for $30 less. If they can stand the blurple, that is - I just replaced the scales on my s110v PM2 with marbled CF aftermarket scales and I'm much happier.

I'm truly happy with my 204P Military.
Like it better than both my Cruwear and 52100 versions.
It'll be a while before I get the S110V version.
But.......I did just pick up a K2 for $149 at KC.
They are on sale at 63% off...

For those interested in some real world cutting action, here's a fun test I did yesterday.

I had a bunch of old CAT5 and CAT5-E patch cables lying around the NOC (Network Operations Center) at work, and decided I would be environmentally friendly and cut it up in pieces before trashing it. I heard you aren't supposed to put fishing line in the trash because some stray animal might get caught in it while they're scavenging around the city dump and die. So I figured I should be compassionate to said animals and cut up these patch cables as well. Ok, maybe it's a stretch, but it gave me an excuse to see what 204p is all about.

I should have taken a "before" picture, but I forgot. There were probably 50-60 ~7ft cables in all, maybe more. I didn't count. For those who aren't computer geeks like me, patch cables are made from 4 twisted pairs of copper wire. So 8 small copper wires per cable. I cut them up into 10-12 inch pieces, and tried to alternate using the top, middle, and bottom portions of the blade. I did a little bit of slicing, but found that to be more difficult. So most of the cuts were push cuts. I found it much easier to do at about a 45 degree angle, similar to cardboard. I also found that some of the cables were considerably tougher to cut than others. The knife zipped right through most of them, but I had to really bear down on a few. All in all it took me about 30 minutes or so. Now onto the pics...

gs3emOm.jpg

03oycEq.jpg

I was expecting considerable edge deformation, either chipping or rolling, but I saw very little of either. There were some very minor deformations in certain sections, but very difficult to see. The most obvious is toward the middle of the blade (still difficult to see). Overall the steel held up surprisingly well. I was actually quite shocked. With the way some people talk about high vanadium steels lacking toughness, I half expect the blade to snap after the first cut. :) I jest, but I did expect to see more damage.

t2LcP1O.jpg

nS3kVAO.jpg

The knife would still clean slice copy paper when I was done. I could even rough shave with most of the edge. It snagged a few times when the paper caught on the damaged section of the blade, but it still retained a very nice working edge.

pYco9tR.jpg

When I got home I thought surely I'd have to at least touch it up on the Sharpmaker browns, if not take it to the diamonds. However, after about 10 passes on black compound and another 10 on white using my leather strop, I was back to easily shaving arm hair. There are still a few deformed places on the edge and it's not hair popping, but it's more than satisfactory for my uses.

Some things I learned:
- 204p is great stuff. Much tougher than I initially thought.
- A 68 degree NOC on a 90 degree Vermont Summer day is a wonderful place to be.
- Being environmentally friendly is fun.
- Not all patch cables are created equal.
- The Military has some hotspots for me when cutting. Mainly at the butt of the handle on my pinky finger.
- I prefer closed back construction for heavy cutting.
- Did I mention how great 204p is?!
- Next time I do something like this I'll wear gloves.
- I have a new appreciation for Ankerson's cardboard tests.

^ Thanks for the review and pics !
Looks like the edge help up very well.

Great test and great post. Yes, Spyderco really has the HT down to a T with 204P. This one and the 204P Para2 are really exceptional performers.

Back