Knights Templer sword 133 years old

Hello,

I'm new to the site so pardon any mistakes ahead of time. I bought what should be a K o C sword back in the 70's from Disneyland's Antique shop over in New Orleans Square. Paid good money way back then, but just liked it. Over the years I have kept a look for another one just like mine to give me an idea of its background. Believe it or not after all these years none has surfaced. Many look like mine except for one thing, mine has a presentation name and date, over 133 years old, on the scabbard. I have never seen any of these type of swords with dates. I have the photos on Pinterest, under K o C sword. Can’t figure out how to insert them. ….

Engraved on scabbard
Presented by the Members of Wm. Parkman Commandery K.T. to Eminent Sir James M. Simpson Nov. 14 1889

Engraved on the blade
James M Simpson

Fred Alford Boston Mass. (probably MFG.)

any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,

Kustom

Last edited:
Try hosting your images on Imgur.com, then linking them here. It is a free service used by many members.

n2s

You can't ask about prices without a paid membership, but pictures would help identify the sword.

Blind man's bluff is oh so cool to begin the twenty questions.

Knights of Columbus swords are quite specific and aside from the three linked, the fourth older pattern has a lion laying upon a helmet pommel.

Going by your transcription, the sword belonged to an Eminent Commander of the freemasons Knights Templar, not Knights of Columbus. Further, it lists a Massachusetts Commandery.

You may likely find a close match in the current fraternal book authority.

The American Fraternal Sword: An Illustrated Reference Guide by John D. Hamilton, Joseph Marino & James Kaplan $40 from the publisher.

So, in summation, you pretty much have all the details you need already at your fingertips and a clarification that the sword has nothing to do with the Knights of Columbus.

Cheers
GC

Blind man's bluff is oh so cool to begin the twenty questions.

Knights of Columbus swords are quite specific and aside from the three linked, the fourth older pattern has a lion laying upon a helmet pommel.

Going by your transcription, the sword belonged to an Eminent Commander of the freemasons Knights Templar, not Knights of Columbus. Further, it lists a Massachusetts Commandery.

You may likely find a close match in the current fraternal book authority.

The American Fraternal Sword: An Illustrated Reference Guide by John D. Hamilton, Joseph Marino & James Kaplan $40 from the publisher.

So, in summation, you pretty much have all the details you need already at your fingertips and a clarification that the sword has nothing to do with the Knights of Columbus.

Cheers
GC
Thank you for the lead. I stand corrected on the Knights of Columbus sword. I will start to look. I tried to host some photos from Pinterest, since I already have an account there. But no luck… I’ll keep trying. The sword I do have though I have seen many like it, but no dates.
thx
kustom

Thank you for the lead. I stand corrected on the Knights of Columbus sword. I will start to look. I tried to host some photos from Pinterest, since I already have an account there. But no luck… I’ll keep trying. The sword I do have though I have seen many like it, but no dates.
thx
kustom
Thank you again for the tip on the book. I got it yesterday and so far this is what I have found.
Agent and distributor was Fredrick Alford of Boston Massachusett.
Closest photo I could find in that book was KM 427 RA Eminent Commander WM Parkman Commandery.
mine is dated to James Simson Nov. 14 1889 engraved on the scabbard, with his initials in the grip. (haven't seen any swords like this with a date) especially 133 years old.
Still working on bringing in a photo or 2 From Pinterest.
thanks again for the help.

Last edited:
Well I have tried to lay in the photo's but it just doesn't work.
here is a link to see the sword if you can go to pinterest.
Let me know,
Thanks
Kuustom

Last edited:
a5aacc5a-8b44-403d-be8f-8e40d185a18b.jpg

thank you for inserting this photo Legion 12. Is there any way to add another. I wanted the engraved one showing the date, because I have never seen one of these swords with a date.

Thanks again

thank you for inserting this photo Legion 12. Is there any way to add another. I wanted the engraved one showing the date, because I have never seen one of these swords with a date.

Thanks again
Here you go .
image.jpg

Thank you again, Legion 12!
ok has any one seen a Templer sword like mine with a date (133 years old) engraved. The scabbard and blade match the original owner. Must be rare. Again this was in the old antique shop in New Orleans Square at Disneyland in Anaheim.

Thanks
Kustom

Last edited:
Not rare... Unique because yours is the only one with that engraving. There are probably other engraved examples however because after all they are parts of fraternal regalia or basically part of a costume. They aren't real weapons nor are they particularly valuable although some people do collect them.

edited

Etched blade, engraved scabbard.

Worth only what someone would pay and truly not really important unless you can offer the entire history of the fellow and as an individual he is of some interest. I had someone asking about a very similar sword just yesterday and in a few minutes found a completed auction of its twin on ebay sold for $50.

the book gives you an idea of numbers in its forward and here is an even larger lens of the times.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11-JYDBN_j04DaImw64LQlsSOtwYXj5uI/view?usp=sharing

Cheers
GC

Last edited:
In five minutes of poking about, I see he was a President and agent of insurance companies. The commandery is/was in Winchester, Massachusetts and his offices were in Worcester (quite a hike in 1889). The sword is a presentation of esteem to a fellow Knights Templar and likely due to his work advancing the insurances and benevolence the order is greatly based upon.

Cheers
GC

Back