Knives bearing symbols, or as symbols, religious or otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a thought provoking topic.... I had never thought or considered it in the context of faith.

My Douk Douk folder has the the stamped image of a Duk-Duk, the Melanesian spirit of doom as the trademark. It doesn't bother me. I don't worship it or the knife, but I can understand it may bother some people. (Incidentally there are versions with different marks so that it could be sold in Islamic markets.) To me it's an interesting historical item and a neat slipjoint.

Kris knives with wavy blades have an inherently spiritual element too. Most indigenous designs do. As for the kukri, no-one is 100% sure what the cho notch means anymore. Same as the Spanish notch found on many bowies.

At the end of the day, you have to make peace with your beliefs that we all interpret with our own understanding. My general living Christian principle is that it matters more what I say and do with people, than what symbol is on my knives. That being said I would not purchase a knife that glorified or featured Satanic elements. But I am perfectly fine with a Death's Head Knuckle Duster knife from WWII.

You could argue the Spyderco hole is a symbol for a cult of ugly knives :)

I love seeing that there are other Christians around here 👋🏻
It's all "One World". I rece try suffered the loss of my Kathy, and was having a tough time of it. Out of the blue: a girl I dated well over 40 years ago came back into my life. I reached out to a very dear friend from High School, and asked her for advice.
She said that "Shelley" was God's answer to her prayers asking for me to find comfort and peace.
So a Catholic Lady prayed for a United Methodist man and a Jewish Woman...
One World..

It's all "One World". I rece try suffered the loss of my Kathy, and was having a tough time of it. Out of the blue: a girl I dated well over 40 years ago came back into my life. I reached out to a very dear friend from High School, and asked her for advice.
She said that "Shelley" was God's answer to her prayers asking for me to find comfort and peace.
So a Catholic Lady prayed for a United Methodist man and a Jewish Woman...
One World..
Real sorry to hear that you lost Kathy. There are no words of comfort possible but hoping God is able to provide you the healing you need.

I am not exactly sure though, what you mean by "One World"?

For me, I see it from a "False flag" standpoint. If there is a religious or any symbol that evokes such loyalty, I feel like I am carrying something to which I have no claim.

Like buying military surplus clothing and leaving the insignia and rank on the item. People see it and assume you earned or represent those. My one exception is the Union Jack on my jacket- cool flag and it WAS a British service smock :) - so the smock earned the right.

I was raised Baptist, my wife is Catholic. We display the Lord's Supper over our table and proudly display a cross in the house and one in the back yard. I have a very deep respect for Faith and admire those for whom their Faith gives them strength and guides them to be a better man/woman, though I am devoid of the same. I work daily to become a better person but do so to honor my Earthly father. I know I am an anachronism, maybe I will sort it out but I am OK with it for now.

For those who see their Faith as an excuse to commit murder, I see them as common criminals. They have convoluted something meant for good into an excuse to do evil.

Bill

For me, I see it from a "False flag" standpoint. If there is a religious or any symbol that evokes such loyalty, I feel like I am carrying something to which I have no claim.

Like buying military surplus clothing and leaving the insignia and rank on the item. People see it and assume you earned or represent those. My one exception is the Union Jack on my jacket- cool flag and it WAS a British service smock :) - so the smock earned the right.

I was raised Baptist, my wife is Catholic. We display the Lord's Supper over our table and proudly display a cross in the house and one in the back yard. I have a very deep respect for Faith and admire those for whom their Faith gives them strength and guides them to be a better man/woman, though I am devoid of the same. I work daily to become a better person but do so to honor my Earthly father. I know I am an anachronism, maybe I will sort it out but I am OK with it for now.

For those who see their Faith as an excuse to commit murder, I see them as common criminals. They have convoluted something meant for good into an excuse to do evil.

Bill
Well said, but I must add, don't forget that faith in Jesus is much more than just being a better person.
Faith saves us from our sin.
It not only transforms our lives, but we are delivered from the penalty of our sin and brought into right relationship with God the Father.

Real sorry to hear that you lost Kathy. There are no words of comfort possible but hoping God is able to provide you the healing you need.

I am not exactly sure though, what you mean by "One World"?
Simply put:. There's room for ALL of us...

"don't forget that faith in Jesus is much more than just being a better person." - Agreed. Just as good deeds can not "earn" a place in Heaven. Faith is more than a guide for behaviour.

I do believe that that one benefit religions have is to give us examples to live better lives.

In my position, I do not care if another person is bound for Heaven or purgatory-- I judge them by their deeds and intent here in the now. Their soul is not my concern. That is their issue to face.

Bill

That was a lot of typing...
I took a second look and decided that some might get offended...

Personally I get offended by people trying to push on me their own beliefs...

How about trying to be the best possible person you can be and acknowledge that there are people with other beliefs and accepting their faith and trying to live in peace?

Bill

I do own a kabar space force TDI

This one has managed to remain civil despite various beliefs and points of view, and I think that's a good note to close it on. Thank you everyone for participating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back