Knives for processing deer

My son killed a fatty four point the other day. I drove out to his place to process it. Used these three from Tim Olt.
Top one, the skinner is in M4 steel. The other two are CPM 154. All three did a great job, losing none of their sharpness during the process.
x6LQv9i.jpg

So what did you make out of all the meat? I usually grind some burger and vacuum seal steaks. How many days did you age the meat?

Last edited:
uY1Lply.jpg
Nice knives. I'll bring a buncha knives as well. When one feels its not sharp I'll switch. No fancy steels some carbon and some stainless. Haven't sharpend them since last season time to touch them up

Edit my favorite skinners are a Queens cutlery in D2 and an older laminated Mora made from the 50s. I'll post some pics when I get a chance

Left to right Mora Garberg, Queens Cutlery, Vintage Mora and the last one needs no intro

Last edited:
This is a custom boning knife I made from 0.100" AEB-L for a friend that's a butcher, it's bit stiffer than what he normally uses. But he really likes it for the heavier work like parting the joints.

34458487_735302849973351_2280451952833724416_o.jpg

jhansenak47, I finally processed the meat today. I let it sit on ice in a cooler to age the meat a bit. The tenderloins and back strap were taken home that day. Heart, liver and kidneys went to a pal that likes that sort of thing. I ground up the shank meat, neck meat, and some of the rump. I add one pound fatty pork shoulder to every 9 pounds Venison.
The rest was turned into steaks, chops, and stew meat.

Scott Hanson, that is one good looking boning knife. I could have used that!

Venison shanks are not something I ever leave to the grinder ! The shanks are a tougher cut of meat but FULL of flavor. Shanks of other types of meat are similar. The Italians have made a specialty of veal shanks , Osso Buco which you might find in fine restaurants . The shanks require slow moist braising. Brown the meat in hot oil ,add chopped onion , celery, carrot , a bit of garlic, red wine ,salt pepper .this is slowly cooked until the meat starts to fall off the bone .
It's traditionally served with Risotto [rice cooked in broth ] Try It

Venison shanks are not something I ever leave to the grinder ! The shanks are a tougher cut of meat but FULL of flavor. Shanks of other types of meat are similar. The Italians have made a specialty of veal shanks , Osso Buco which you might find in fine restaurants . The shanks require slow moist braising. Brown the meat in hot oil ,add chopped onion , celery, carrot , a bit of garlic, red wine ,salt pepper .this is slowly cooked until the meat starts to fall off the bone .
It's traditionally served with Risotto [rice cooked in broth ] Try It
It is fantastic if done correctly but it takes patience to slow cook and braise it. This is not a recipe for the cooks who don’t want to be in the kitchen.

I could do it in my sleep !
Cut each bone in half brown . Chop veggies [anyone who can make knives should be able to do that quickly ] . In my family everybody, guests and all , drifted to the kitchen anyway out of curiosity so we always had control of cooking,

Just to add to this, after 5 years of deer hunting, harvested first deer this year. I had my Rodent Solution and Fallkniven F1 in my pack. All amped up , I left my pack with treestand when tracking. Decided to just use my folder since I was there. My ZT0566 M390 worked great. Zipped thru all parts no prob. After I got home though and cleaned the knife, realized I should have had the RS on my belt. Much easier cleaning!

Added another skinner from Tim Olt. This is similar to top knife in the picture above, but with a longer blade and handle. Same dyed camel bone scales though. Will be using this one on hogs soon.
4drnZ4d.jpg

Back