knives in books

One of the things that got me interested in throwing knives was Ian Fleming's James Bond novel, "From Russia with Love". Hidden in a special seam in the outside of his attache case was a flat throwing knife. After faking death from a gunshot he pulls the blade and kills the bad guy with a stab to the femoral artery in the thigh.

In Laurell K. Hamilton's newest book: A Kiss Of Shadows, the lead character "Merry" carries a Delica clipped to her bra and a Military clipped to a garter belt! A great read if you like sci-fi/fantasy books. This one is the start of a new series. Her other books in the Anita Blake-Vampire Hunter series are incredible as well, not so much knife content, but many, many gun references. She even quotes Masaad Ayoob in one book.

Flinx

How could I forget my favorite book of adolescence - S.E. Hinton's "The Outsiders".

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RH:
How could I forget my favorite book of adolescence - S.E. Hinton's "The Outsiders".</font>

I love this book! I read it about 5 or 6 times
smile.gif
I can't remember where the knife shows up, though....

Another one: in Romeo&Juliet Romeo's friend (mercutio?) is stabbed with a dagger by one of tybalt's friends.

In the old Leslie Charteris "Saint" books, Simon Templar carries a throwing knife with a leaf-shaped blade. The knife is called "Anna".

Almost any book by J.R.R. Tolkien. Well, maybe they're a little bit longer than your regular knives
smile.gif

In Neal Stephenson's book Snow Crash, the main character (named "Hiro Protagonist", you've got to love that) carries a set of swords everywhere. One of the other characters, a crazy nuke-packing Aleut, uses a number of glass knives as his primary weapon...

There was one story in an anthology by Mark Helprin (A Dove of the East and Other Stories, I think) that prominently featured a knife with a stacked leather handle. I don't remember which story it was, it's been a while since I've read the book, but the description of the knife stuck in my mind for some reason.
wink.gif

I just finished Tony Hillerman's, Talking God. 'Bout two navajo tribal cops, a wannabe indian graverobber, an ex-con momma's boy who kills with a shank and a Peruvian intelligence officer. This books' got alot of unexpected turns and keeps you guessing.

Give it a read you wont regret it.
wink.gif

Rick

------------------
You may think it's funny but wait till it's your turn.

Patricia Cornwall has a series of books featuring a medical examiner "Kay Scarpetta" who gets involved in investigations of serial murders. In one book the police are searching a suspect's house and come across a knife collection and the detective admires a Sebenza. There is very good character development in this series especially the early books, and very convincing treatment of forensic science.

BTW, the first time I ever saw a Spyderco was in the George Clooney movie "Out of Sight" where Michael Keaton as an FBI agent is using one to cut a piece of fruit. It made me think: what is that thing? I found out and have been hooked since.
(sorry if the last bit is off topic)

Interesting... One of the above posts mentions Gibson's "all tomorrows parties".
I'm convinced the "Konrad" character, the Zen knife master, is patterend on the "Hermes" character in "Exposure."
Both are knife masters trained in "esoteric South American" styles, both are quite in the Zen Warrior tradition, and both are referred to as "professor" at one point or another.

Bikewer,
Hmmm....you might be right. Maybe he was trained by "Hermes".
smile.gif

Both books were good("All Tomorrows parties", and "High Art").

Blades

Back