Knives in contemporary Vietnam

I'm getting ready to leave for Vietnam in two weeks, and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the knife laws of the country. My better judgment is to not even try to carry so much as a small pocket knife when I'm visiting a country, but my girlfriend (she's Vnese) says that there are no enforced knife laws where we're going (other than the obvious: don't be stupid--no waving knives around, other common sense things). She says you can even carry a kitchen knife with you, which I suppose some people do on their way to the markets (why else, one wonders, would someone carry a kitchen knife around a city?).

So, at any rate, my question is two fold: can I, a foreigner, safely carry a knife in Vietnam (given good common sense), and second, can I even bring a knife into the country at all.

I might pick up a szabofly if what she says is true.

never been to Vietnam, but i've spent alot of time in Cambodia. I realize that countries have different rules, even when they share borders (Canada/America), but I have a feeling some practices are probably pretty standard throughout most of S.E. Asia.

(1) no uniformity from town to town. legal in one area, totally illegal in others.
(2) searches VERY unlikely, unless you're in a major city late at night or causing trouble.
(3) almost everything can be cleared up with a small (often negotiable) fine paid in cash, on scene. however, your knife may very well be part of the "fine".

i concealed a fixed blade, the whole time i was there and never had a problem. I'll carry when i go back, too.

Vietnam is a little more developed than Cambodia, but i still doubt you'll see any metal detectors. so, if you're worried about it, do what i did the first time i ever went to Cambodia - carry a tactical folder, but clip it in your waistband instead of your pocket.

Keep the knife out of sight and only bring it out for use if you must. If there is a problem, like Cambodia, a little American cash goes a long way in Vietman.

As an American citizen, I wouldn't want to get caught carrying so much as a sewing needle in Vietnam. Many people there are still bitter about what happened decades earlier and would be willing to make an example of a "Yankee Imperialist" by means of a harsh jail sentence. Living conditions and sanitation are also questionable, so you health might be at risk as well. Unless you absolutely have to go (business or family reasons), that is one place that I would avoid like the plague.

As an American citizen, I wouldn't want to get caught carrying so much as a sewing needle in Vietnam. Many people there are still bitter about what happened decades earlier and would be willing to make an example of a "Yankee Imperialist" by means of a harsh jail sentence. Living conditions and sanitation are also questionable, so you health might be at risk as well. Unless you absolutely have to go (business or family reasons), that is one place that I would avoid like the plague.

Im sorry but that is just absolute rubbish, have you ever actually been there as a tourist ?:rolleyes:

As long as your not an idiot with it you will have no problems with a knife.

I would probably just stick to a regular folder rather than a bali just to be safe but as
long as you dont go making a big deal of it no will will even know you have a knife any way.

Here in Taiwan knife laws are supposed to be pretty harsh (for Asia any way)
I have openly carried small fixed blades and good sized folders every day for
a few years now with no problems.
I have friends in the police here and they say as long as your not actually
stabbing someone they just dont care.

Im sorry but that is just absolute rubbish, have you ever actually been there as a tourist ?:rolleyes:

I would probably just stick to a regular folder rather than a bali just to be safe but as
long as you dont go making a big deal of it no will will even know you have a knife any way.

Fine, take your chances. There are police that will look the other way and there are police who will lock you up in a heartbeat if they catch you carrying a knife. American citizens leave their constitutional rights at the border when they leave the United States and there are many countries where Americans are not well liked. I would not take the chance, personally, but to each his own. A chance to have an extended stay in a Third World prison is not my idea of a good time!;). When you are busted for violating the laws in foreign countries, you are in for the hassle of your life.

I have been being married a Vietnamese lady and living to Vietnam for about half a year.
According to what I have heard and seen, Vietnamese are cool with Americans these days.
I once saw a movie answering the question "Whom do you hate?" when interviewed by a foreign reporter.
The answer was "No one."
"How about Americans? Didn't they invaded you?" The reporter asked again.
The star answer with innocent wide eyes "But we defeated them. Now we can all be good friends."

The only country pissing them off is China. In additional to territorial "disputes," Vietnamese are not impressed by Chinese products, either.
According to my own observation, most Vietnamese folks are easy going happy people.
Show them respect by a big smile and a nod is more than enough to make them happy in most cases.

This is true until last year.
Some nut case just went on a stabbing rampage in subway in Taipei.
Folks have used to carry the same knives without any problems are now getting arrested.

I was in a half dozen different large cities there a couple of years ago. I carried a medium size douk douk and a Swiss army for the bottle opener without any problems. I always figure if you make it through custom going in with your knife you are safe as long as you don't do anything stupid. Forget "self-defense" as a reason to carry any knife outside the U.S. After that, why would you need a sheath knife hanging on your belt or balisong in your pocket? Something to peel fruit, cut sandwiches and opens bottles is more like it.

Last edited:
How you are treated as an American (or a citizen from any country, for that matter) also has a LOT to do with YOU...how you behave wth the locals. If you go around with a superiority complex because you're an American (or whoever), authorities can make it very hard for you.

I lived in Taiwan for almost a decade. I only EDC'd a SAK, and I never had any trouble with it. Of course, I left in 1993, so maybe some things are different now. I do know that, regarding police, do not act "smart".

Every 2 months in Taiwan, if you are a long-term visitor, you are required to get a visa stamp at the police station, and every 6th month you must show you've left the country, even for a day. Sometimes the police will mess with you, maybe say your reason given for staying isn't enough to give you a stamp when you know it is. If you become all indignant, saying "I'm an American citizen!" they can make it very hard for you. Luckily, a long-timer there told me what to expect before my first time going for my visa stamp. I never had any issues, though occasionally I had to go through the motions and hassles of coming back later.

Sorry if that's going way off-topic, but again, attitude plays a big role in how you'll be treated in other countries.

Jim

Last edited:
Back