Knives like AG Russell Sting

I recently came across this classic model, it's a beautiful knife I like the profile and the size. Are there production models similar to it? Also would be interested in single edge knives like the Spyderco Nightstick which was announced, a boot knife style with only single edge sharpened.

Last edited:
CRKT made production versions of the Sting, and the Sting 3B. Both were very affordable.

You can still get a Sting over at A.G. Russell's website.

One of the coolest single edge boot knives I ever had was the Gerber Frisco Shiv designed by Blackie Collins.

CRKT made production versions of the Sting, and the Sting 3B. Both were very affordable.

You can still get a Sting over at A.G. Russell's website.

One of the coolest single edge boot knives I ever had was the Gerber Frisco Shiv designed by Blackie Collins.
Thanks, I didn't see that it was still in production. I am interested in models like that Gerber, love the dagger look but double edge is illegal in my area.

Yeah, there are two versions of the Frisco Shiv... a double edge and a single edge. Probably so that folks in all areas could get one.

Big fan of daggers myself. But alas, my state is also one of those paranoid enclaves.

In my opinion, nothing beats the original A.G Russell Sting (1, 2 and 3). The 3B is really nice, though. But the all steel versions (the old one, brushed stainless, and the recent one coated black) don't appeal much to me. If double edge is illegal, you can still go Sgian Dubh. This here under is production. However, considering legality, the very stabby allure of the Sgian, even single edged as it is, may not convince a LEO of its utilitarian nature.
vGMPjCC.jpg

rAONILW.jpg

These are customs. Nice but quite expensive. Only on order. The left one still calls for me...
QbTDyxe.jpg

I recently came across this classic model, it's a beautiful knife I like the profile and the size. Are there production models similar to it? Also would be interested in single edge knives like the Spyderco Nightstick which was announced, a boot knife style with only single edge sharpened.

The Sting is and always has been a production knife. There's about 7 variations, even the CRKT ones are AGRussell knives.

...interested in single edge knives like the Spyderco Nightstick which was announced, a boot knife style with only single edge sharpened.
unfortunately legality gets in the way of
actual carry of dual edges for many.
thus single edge than becomes necessary.
however the spyderco is a far costlier knife...
than crkt's sting.
but in so far as looking like
the sting is concerned,
there can be only one.
and its the sting...
yeah its a classic beauty
maybe just not for carry
beyond the confines of
one's abode :)

I used to think I wanted a Sting, got caught up in AGRussell's BS hype. Then I got to hold a few, buy the hype not the knife :) The CRKT Sting was cheaper, and the hype was still good, almost bought one. When I got to play with one, I was glad I didn't.

There are better double edged dageers out there. Wound up with a vintage Parker three sided dagger, much better knife and sheath. Have TK Steingass make a custom for ya.

I used to think I wanted a Sting, got caught up in AGRussell's BS hype. Then I got to hold a few, buy the hype not the knife :) The CRKT Sting was cheaper, and the hype was still good, almost bought one. When I got to play with one, I was glad I didn't.

There are better double edged dageers out there. Wound up with a vintage Parker three sided dagger, much better knife and sheath. Have TK Steingass make a custom for ya.
My interest in this knife is definitely a bit of hype, as I have no practical need for a dagger or boot knife. But it looks damn good, small enough for my own uses, so I want it :D and the CRKT is certainly better priced for my intended uses, but I'm not a big CRKT fan in general.

IMG_20200223_223307.jpg This has been on my Chippewa rallye boots since I got them 15+ yrs ago. Great boots n great little knife!IMG_20200223_222915.jpg

What a coincidence! I am actually busy restoring an CRKT Sting my wife gave me 15 years ago. I'm going to re-profile, etch the logos and strip the black coating. I don't have a real use for the knife, but enjoy little projects like this. Will post pics once I'm done.

38Yo8Wi.jpg

I got one of the Joker boot knives. It is a Spanish brand. It is sharpened on one edge only and it is relatively cheap. I got the bull horn version.

Joker-knives-cc67.jpg

The spyderco is kinda pretty but I wouldn't pay $210 for it....

My interest in this knife is definitely a bit of hype, as I have no practical need for a dagger or boot knife. But it looks damn good, small enough for my own uses, so I want it :D and the CRKT is certainly better priced for my intended uses, but I'm not a big CRKT fan in general.

The early ones are nicer than the CRKT versions. I like the Gerber Loveless better than the original Sting or CRKT versions. I almost got the Gerber but decided to wait for one in better shape but never found it :(

Back