Knives necessary in the outdoors?

I'm pretty sure if cavemen had matches or lighters they would have carried them;)

Of course: they would have been fools not to. Some of my best friends are Neanderthal's, and even they can operate a Bic lighter (although they're better at operating tops on beer bottles).

I don't need a knife. Ever. Or an axe for that matter.
With my Psych degree I can talk wood into splitting and chopping itself. I can talk animals into hanging themselves, so I don't really even need to set snares.

If that fails, I'll just stare the wood down and threaten it into breaking itself into the pieces I want. I learned that from watching a Chuck Norris marathon.

Who needs a knife?

That said, I do sometimes carry a butter knife in case I feel like wrestling with a Grizzly bear or carving a stone monument to myself.

I am a manly man. Women desire me. Men fear me. Animals flee at the mere mention of my name.

Man, my chest will be sore from all that thumping...

I think Rick proved very adequately in one of his posts that you CAN get by without a knife.

+1:thumbup:

I watched the same Chuck Norris marathon years ago, and even a few Steven Segal flicks. I can now shoot fire out my arse so no need for friction fire skills or matches here. I would also partake in the chest thumping, but the last time I did that I knocked the wind right out of me..:eek:

I'm with Jim. I know how to do all those things, but I would prefer a nice blowtorch. It makes life so much easier.:D
Blowtourch? That is an old indian trick, all of us old indians use it.:D

In a pinch, zippo fluid will work.;)
I'm not above using Zippo fluid, nowadays. Sometimes I wish I still had C-4: just peel off a chunk and light it. It was a pretty good fire starter, once upon a time. Still, a blowtorch would be better, if it didn't weigh so much.:D
Empty nasal spray botttles filled with alchol work well, Just don't get the bottles mixed up, or mark them well. WHOZERS. :eek:

Amateurs!

Reel sirviveal expurts carry a flask of napalm and a WP grenade! :D :D

+1:thumbup:

I watched the same Chuck Norris marathon years ago, and even a few Steven Segal flicks. I can now shoot fire out my arse so no need for friction fire skills or matches here. I would also partake in the chest thumping, but the last time I did that I knocked the wind right out of me..:eek:

When you knocked the wind out of yourself, where did it come out? Is that what caused the fire out of your arse?

Just asking in case I need to light a fire quickly. New techniques are always good to know.

Amateurs!

Reel sirviveal expurts carry a flask of napalm and a WP grenade! :D :D

Well, I would, except I used all my willie peter lighting a bonfire on the beach a few years ago. The lady with me wasn't impressed, and tried to douse it with water.

A new shipment is due in from Ordinance R Us any day now.

Don't you think it might be better to learn at least the rudiments of knapping before you might need it in an extreme situation?

It can be interesting and fun to learn, and it's a skill you can always take with you, just in case. If worse came to worst, you could always make a blade to use for survival. Having that skill instills a certain amount of confidence in a person. Okay, I lost all my knives and I need to cut/chop/scrape/whatever to make things better — no problem, because I know how to make a blade. My feeling is that it's a little late to "try your hand at knapping" when you're deep in the doo-doo.

I'm not knocking flint knapping. Yes, along with all other primitive skills, its a good idea to learn. Thats the point i'm making. Most people WON"T learn flint knapping, so its not an option for them in a survival scenario. That being said. I"M GOING TO CARRY A KNIFE! But on the list of things to learn, knapping is an important one. You're missing my point entirely. How many people will learn to knap flint vs. how many people will carry a knife? Which of the two is more "convienient" and less time consuming? That last question should answer itself.

I always end up using a knife on backpacking trips -- opening up food, whittling a tent stakes because I forgot 'em, making a spoon-like thing because I forgot a spork (I have to forget one important item on each trip to keep things interesting), cutting moleskin patches, cutting lengths of cord, etc. I don't carry a big fixed knife for turning a tree into kindling because fires aren't allowed at most of the places I go.

Been using folders, trying small fixed blades this year. I think i'll be carrying an Izula, a Spyderco Ladybug Hawkbill, and maybe a SAK with a saw blade.

I think we have strayed from the OP, A day Hike and a Back Paking trip are trwo very different deals. I alwaYs have the SAK in my pocket but seldom do I need it or use it on day hikes. Overnight trips are different and my equipment will vary greatly.

Most people WON"T learn flint knapping, so its not an option for them in a survival scenario.

And even if you do become proficient at flint knapping (as opposed to couch napping ;)), is there always a nice chunk of flint laying around? No. Here in the west one can find flint in some areas. There are even some obsidian flows. But they tend to be few and far between. That's why flint and obsidian were trade items--it ain't easy to find the good stuff.

Still, better to be familiar with the idea than not. The more tools one carries in one's head the better.

The OP is an interesting question and, perhaps, anything we consider essential to have with us should be passed through the same logic of benefit vs. cost (cost in this case being usefullness, weight, etc.). That being said, I carry an SAK, 4" folder and bandanna whenever I leave the house. These are items I see as being minimal in terms of inconvienience and essential. Why would I not carry these same items when on a day hike when I carry them on the commuter train that takes me to the office every day? I can ride the train without a knife, but I never would. The same could be said for a hike.

To answer the original post, in my world it is a necessity. I spend most of my time in the outdoors by mountain bike. I do rides from 10 -50 miles all on trails some of which are remote. I don't need my knife on a majority of the trips, rarely even use it. But when I've had to use it, my spyderco has saved the day. I almost never use my compass, matches, or FAK either. Doesn't mean I'm going to leave them at home.

Also when doing 50 mile rides with no refills along the way I am very limited on the weight of gear I can carry as my pack is filled with water and food and very little extra clothing. If injured on a winter ride I couldn't just pull out my blue foam pad, put on dry clothes and wait for the cavalry. I would have to build or find shelter and build a fire to make it through the night. The knife might come in handy in that regard. YMMV

We also had a contest a while ago to see who could start a fire with just a firesteel and found items (natural). Half-dozen guys tried and were able to use a rock to create sparks and get a lil' blaze going.

Next we need to do a one-hand, no-knife, fire making test.... :)

KEmSAT reminded me of an old thread I did last year. Friction fire without a knife...

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670415&

That was the very little Jaybird I was talking about. Glad you found it, Rick. I enjoy reading that one.

I think it should be a sticky just to show folks about thinking out of the box. Maybe some kind of "Think outside the box" thread showcasing multiple ways to use stuff. :thumbup:

When you knocked the wind out of yourself, where did it come out? Is that what caused the fire out of your arse?

Just asking in case I need to light a fire quickly. New techniques are always good to know.

Sure it requires a strong hand and Rick's wife's cooking:thumbup: :cool:

Sure it requires a strong hand and Rick's wife's cooking:thumbup: :cool:

I doubt that I'll ever try Rick's wife's cooking, which I'm sure is excellent. Does that mean I have to go flameless in the bush, never able to use your new magic technique?

Back