Knives of Alaska Brand.....Any Opinions

Any pro or cons about their knives from you experiences....or that you've heard from others.

Thank you,

Thundermoon

I have the Cub Bear and the Alpha wolf both D2 steel and I can tell you I will not trade the Alpha wolf for any other blade ,it is a great EDC blade and Razor sharp,excellent leather sheath.the thumb notches on the back of the D2 blade throws an excellent spark from a firesteel.I suggest pick up the Alpha wolf for your 1st KOA blade,it is an excellent buy. just my opinion

Mack

Expert Ultracrepidarian
Platinum Member
I have the Cub Bear and the Steelheader filet knife. Love 'em.

I have three of their knives with the Alpha Wolf flat-ground in D2 being my favorite of the three. All three of the knives have a good heat treat, however one of them has a real lousy grind (a gift so I can't complain).

I have a set for sale in the classifieds, and a few fellows have asked about what steel they are. I have been up and down the website, and I cant find out. Are they all D2, and is there any other steel they used? Thanks for any info...

I've got the Alpha Wolf in D2 and love the design and feel of the knife. The material and workmanship are solid. The jury is still out for me on D2, as I find it harder to sharpen to that spooky sharp level (I can get it to shave but not just "pop hair.") than other carbon steel like the 1095, Carbon V and the Scandi carbons I've owned. KOA also made some knives in the S30V steel. I've got an Alpha Wolf in the S30V but it is lost some where in my brother-in-law's gear depot. I was not crazy about the sharpening qualities of that knife either. I just hope it will turn up some day when he is looking for a knife :). I'd love it if the Alpha Wolf came in a 1095.
I've also got a KOA Pronghorn Hunter in D2. The quality also seems first rate on it, though I don't like the style nearly as much as the Alpha Wolf. It was a gift.

Remember that the D2 is a carbon steel and will rust. My Wolf has some character marks from where my brother didn't get it cleaned and dry good after some wild hog processing.

Good luck.

Cocomen69,
I have several KOA in D2 and they also say so on the blade. I do not know if that is true for all of their knives.

Thanks for the info, Ron... These are not marked, so i suspect they are probably not D2. Nice knives, nonetheless....