Knives of Italy

Hi Dan, It's always a pleasure to share and as I've learnt a lot here about the traditional american knive it's natural for me to help those who are interested in the sardinian cutlery.
There are plenty of knife-makers in the island. But all have their own style and specialities.
To choose a knife-maker you have to know what you want, a pattada, a logudoresa, a dorgalesa, a broader blade, something traditional with a horn handle, more modern in micarta or G10, a damascus blade, san mai blade, carbone or inox ,etc etc...:)
Please do not hesitate to ask more questions.

A
Thank you Achille so much for what you have already provided me and for the offer. What you say is very true. Unfortunately it doesn't say HOW to make up my mind. :) So many things appeal. I am like many here if not most. Certain knives call out to you, for what ever reason, and those are the ones that capture your interest. So it is with the Pattada, as well as the Theirs and the Lauguiole from your country. All 3 call to me. Being of limited means, for now, all 3 of those calls I have to let ring through to call waiting. lol
But that does not prevent me from enjoying other aspects of our passion. The hunt, the discovery, the learning, and the dreams - which are all free and perhaps the best part of it all in the end anyway!

And that is what happens and allows us all to meet here on BF! :)

Well, I'm back. We returned safe and sound after two weeks in Florence, Siena, San Gimignano, Monterossa, and Venice. Sorry, Venezia, but the lion's share was in Florence (see what I did there?). As promised, I did visit Scarperia, just an hour bus ride north of Florence. There are knife shops all over town, but the one I wanted to visit most was Coltellerie Giglio. When we arrived, it was just as shops were closing for lunch, but Giglio was thankfully open.
TYDfAFm.jpg

The view as we walked into town after getting off the bus. I knew what to expect as I had already scouted the place via Google street view months before, but it was still a surprise to be there in person. In the distance is the tower of the Palazzo dei Vicari.

Just a block before you reach the Palazzo, you have on the left hand side a small square (as we could call it, but it's not a square in Italian parlance), the Piazza Clasio. In this Piazza is Coltellerie Giglio.
sBtYVIp.jpg

Then . . .
OoxUd31.jpg

. . . and now.

An interior shot:
ZP8crdZ.jpg

Once the others had left, we had the whole place to ourselves. We chatted with the merchant for a while. She's a member of the knifemaking family owning the shop and a great source of information and stories going way back. I'll post more pics of the interior of the shop in the near future.

I was settled on a Zuava design and didn't want to overspend, so I ended up with a medium sized folder. Olive scales, carbon steel blade of German origin (I have the details around somewhere but they escape me now), and brass bolsters. Here it is with the Tuscan countryside in the background:
jbfVVKB.jpg

My pal Jim, on the other hand, went all in and outfitted his and his wife's kitchen with Giglio chef knives, slicers, parers, and steak knives! I'll try to get some pics up of those next week.

After over an hour picking out knives and practicing my Italian, we headed off for the museum just north of the shop in the Palazzo dei Vicari. I knew there was normally a display of knives and tools from Scarperia's days gone by, but we were treated to a massive display of Spanish fighting folders.
ftobDzu.jpg

I'll leave it with this banner. I'll post pics from the exhibit in another thread as they are not Italian knives.

It was a great day trip and any knife nut worth their salt owes themself a full day (we only had an afternoon) in Scarperia. There are loads of shops, the great little museum in the Palazzo, and as it's an hour outside Florence and the locals don't speak much English, a great chance to practice your Italian.

More pics and stories in later posts.

Zieg

Thanks for your report Zieg! And your wonderful collection, A! Achillepattada knows the Sardinians well, and has been very helpful in the past!!
I look forward to following up on this thread!

So sadly in my earlier days (pre BF era) I travelled to many countries with great knife cultures and never visited any shops. Those days I was looking at art (paintings and such). No regrets in that regard but I certainly missed some tantalizing opportunities to bring more tangible art home with me. :(

Still, my passport is up to date ...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the inspiration The Zieg :thumbsup:

Ray

Last fall my wife and I visited Florence and a number of hill towns in Tuscany and Umbria. We had a wonderful trip!
There's a cutlery shop in Siena that was closed when we were there. I hope to find it open the next time we visit. Maybe you can stop in and let me know what you think?
4qxx83h.jpg

Here's another shop, Leoncini, in San Gimignano, on Via San Giovanni. My wife wouldn't let me buy the sword so I settled for a rough horn handled knife made in Scarperia. They had quite a selection of Italian knives. Worth a visit I think.
MVFtOHg.jpg

6BMayYF.jpg

We had a great time, I'm sure you will too. The old medieval hill towns are so beautiful.
There's so many amazing places to go and things to see in Florence, I can't even begin to list them.
Buon viaggio!

What a coincidence. I was just in the same shop in San Gimingnano 2 weeks ago where I bought my first Opinel and another and another!

What a coincidence. I was just in the same shop in San Gimingnano 2 weeks ago where I bought my first Opinel and another and another!
We were there last year at this time. They sure had a great selection of sharp stuff!

Hello Zieg,
You have done a fantastic trip. I have visited Florence years ago. It's really a beautiful town :rolleyes:

I have received some pictures of the Davide Steri last pattada.

screenshot_20181015-170306-553c199.jpg

screenshot_20181015-170353-553c1a4.jpg

And here is one of Carlo Cavedon who is also a great knife-maker as well as a great engraver
screenshot_20181015-170229-553c1de.jpg

Hello Zieg,
You have done a fantastic trip. I have visited Florence years ago. It's really a beautiful town :rolleyes:

I have received some pictures of the Davide Steri last pattada.

screenshot_20181015-170306-553c199.jpg

screenshot_20181015-170353-553c1a4.jpg

And here is one of Carlo Cavedon who is also a great knife-maker as well as a great engraver
screenshot_20181015-170229-553c1de.jpg
Out of this world gorgeous...both !! I love to see Steri's work ! The Cavedon is on fire ! Is it a lock-back?

Back