Knives On Order 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean I guess I don't understand the negativity, you have over 20 orders on the books. That seems pretty legit to me. Seems like folks like your knives and are puthing their name on the list. It always sucks to have people not respond or cancel but stuff happens. You still have the materials make the knives and list them or keep supplies on hand for next similar knife on the list.

I'll be honest I post less because it seems like every other week your talking about closing up shop or not renewing the forum etc. I guess I read that and get in the mind set it's already over.

Like I said in the thread you closed on the minimalist series. Have faith in your product and forum. We do. Scroll through a lot of the makers forums and they haven't had posts in weeks. Your getting daily posts. Not as many as you want but people are posting and continuing to visit this forum and adding their name to your order list.

Not trying to be harsh or negative but I feel it needs to be said. You have a very loyal group of fans and friends. Things go in ups and downs. Yes posts could be going up as the holidays are over but people are still recovering from holiday spending. Paying credit card bills or just plain recovering from their spending.

All that said you have to do what' best for you and your family. If that' closing shop or the forums that's what you gotta do. But I have noticed things are always better when I stay positive instead of allowing the negatives to get to me.

+1 -- I post less here for the same reasons listed above.
you have orders on the books into March, but every other month you're either deleting a line of knives or talking about closing in 3 months.
personally, I'm not going to order from someone who says they will probably be closing up shop before they get to my order.

this forum is free -- so long as you have a maker subscription.
the maker subscription is a legitimate business expense, so it can be written off same as materials and everything associated with running a business from home.
if running the forum is really that much of a chore, talk to one of the folks here who is a frequent poster about becoming a mod and handling it for you.

Between cancellations and no replies to confirm orders, it looks like I'm going to lose almost $500 in upcoming orders. My forum renewal is January 27th, I'm really starting to think hard about what I should do.
The fact there were only 2 posts here since yesterday kind of confirms that, can't use the holidays as an excuse for low postings, which is what I kept telling myself. The truth is there are just not enough people coming to this forum anymore.

I might be mistaken, but didn't the JK FFL cover the forum fees for the year? THis year they voted to not have a winners knife and instead send some portion of the funds to you to help offset the forum -

Maybe I missed the boat on that, but I thought that was a cool way to help with the forum.

If not - you have to to what you have to do. I can't think that closing / ending your presence here would HELP business, but I run a barely break-even venture myself so who am I to ask. :^)

best

mqqn

Still willing to chip in to cover costs! Obviously you know the numbers better than we do John but I would expect a little dip this time of year. It's been -10 or colder, people are struggling to get caught up from the holidays, etc. It seems like there are still a good amount of outstanding orders and one would think there'd be a little pop in the next couple months as people get their tax refunds back. I see good word of mouth about your knives over at BUSA and elsewhere so maybe this is part of the business cycle this time of year.

I appreciate all the input. Since a lot of people don't really know what is going on with me and my family, we will see what happens.

+1... I know John is a good man with a big heart but the talks about closing the shop down are why I never ordered a knife from you although I did donate a knife to sell for the raffle for Hanna a few years ago. I got burned by Mark Wholwend and Core Knives with their talks of closing up their shops or moving shops etc... and I still placed orders and got burned so I won’t do that again. There are no guarantees in life and none of us are guaranteed a tomorrow. John my suggestion is to try to be more upbeat and let that big heart of yours shine through in every communication. Positivity is contagious. If you want to increase business try something new. I wish you nothing but the best John and hope 2018 is you and your family’s best year yet.

I transferred money from my personal account to PayPal and renewed the forum this morning. Looks like you guys are stuck with me for another year!

Fantastic news, John! Glad to be able to have another year of interaction with y'all.

John, do you have a preference on when I send you my pattern template? Is sooner better or would you rather me wait until my order is closer to the top? Also, do you have some photo examples of your Bocote?

I would plan on sending the pattern within the next couple of weeks, so I have time to review it.
There should be a picture of bocote on my website in the Knives section.

Updated. The one in red will probably start Tuesday. I`m leaving for the hospital around 9 this morning for Becky`s first surgery. Today she is having her gall bladder removed. Monday we will be back there for tests for the next surgery. This will be the bad one, we are all a nervous wreck about this one.

Best of luck to Becky! Had my gall bladder out about 8 years ago and everything went really smoothly. Back to work in a week.

Last edited:
Updated. The one in red will probably start Tuesday. I`m leaving for the hospital around 9 this morning for Becky`s first surgery. Today she is having her gall bladder removed. Monday we will be back there for tests for the next surgery. This will be the bad one, we are all a nervous wreck about this one.
Smoke and prayers sent, John.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back