Knives Similar to Bravo 1

I love my Bravo 1s, but what else is out there that is similar - a no nonsense, tough as nails survival knife?

I know that there's a lot out there, but unfortunately a lot of great makers don't get the attention they deserve...

Last edited:
How much do you want to spend??

You could go From the Becker BK-2 on the lower $ end to a custom made to your exact specs

For size and toughness, these are the first to come to mind:

ESEE 4
Condor Bushlore
Ka-Bar Becker BK 16
Ontario TAK-1
TOPS BOB or LITE Trekker
Fallkiniven F1 or H1
Benchmade Bushcrafter

Several Swamp Rat and Scrapyard models fit into this category IMO

S1. I have a bravo and I don't use it much since I got my s1. I am not a fan of the waxed micarta. Nor the thumb ramp. It did chip up easy as well so the steel was a disappointment. The bravo 1 is also extremely expensive. In a 5 inch I think there are better option for far less. I found mine in an s1. Handle is much better IMO, grippy, eats up shock, great when wet....however not as durable as the bravo 1. I actually like the cheap slim s1 sheath better as well, initially I hated it but once I used both for a while I realized the s1 stealth worked better and was far more versatile and narrower. I wrapped it with some 550. The s1 is also lighter, might not be as thick but still around .200 thick so it is no slacker.

I'm starting to really like Blind Horse Knives. They may fall into your category.

Swamp Rat's Ratmandu and the Survive GSO 5.1 are exactly what you're looking for!

A Fiddleback Bushcrafter or Bushfinger are comparable as is an Off the Map Outfitter Terrassaur by Brian Andrews.

These are in the ball park.
Bravo 1
Matt Caldwell 1-4
Boss street
Choiless Anorexic Boss Street

downsized_0115131832.jpg
[/IMG]
downsized_0115131841.jpg
[/IMG]
downsized_0115131845.jpg
[/IMG]

I liked everything about the Bravo 1 except for the almost .25" thick blade. I opted for the Gunny, and have been happy so far.

I just had Chris Bowden of KFU Knives make this one for me. Haven't tested this one yet, just got it today, but have tested his heat treat before and he did great, He nailed the design from a drawing and the specs, and the handle contours are really sweet. 3/16 1095 steel. Hopefully it will eventually stop raining and I can get it out in the field.

DSC_9805_edited-1.jpg

2013-01-09_14-16-12_696.jpg

I love my Bravo 1s, but what else is out there that is similar - a no nonsense, tough as nails survival knife?

I know that there's a lot out there, but unfortunately a lot of great makers don't get the attention they deserve...

If the ramp is not a primary concern for you, then T.M. Hunt's Yuma model may be of interest to you as well. I took an immediate interest in the design as soon as I was made aware of it. Then after talking to Todd about my needs, I took one that he loaned me on a trip to south Florida to test in various scenarios. Then deciding it was indeed the knife I personally wanted to use in teaching classes on various wilderness skills, some of which are a bit extreme in nature, I returned the loaner and picked one up in the autumn when I got back and had the chance to meet him in person.

DSC_1045.jpg

DSC_5409.jpg

I actually like the knife design enough that I ordered a second one to have on hand since my primary uses for the knife put it under a lot of stresses, and I want a back up. I am also considering getting a third now just in case Todd stops making them at some point in the future,and because I have grown accustomed to having the knife design in teaching classes on wilderness skills.

DSC_2128.jpg

I have put the first two of them, the loaner and then my first one, through several tests and have been very pleased with the design. the workmanship, the ergonomics, and the heat treat have all been very impressive to me. I did a review of the first one here.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1014509-T-M-Hunt-Yuma-model

I really like the design, and my wife has one of his Maguas. Todd really does a top notch job.

DSC_2142.jpg

DSC_2141.jpg

DSC_2148.jpg

Last edited:
I really like that Hunt Yuma, Mistwalker. I looks a bit like a F1 blade shape paired with a Hossom style handle. Enjoyed your review with pics.

Some great suggestions here. I'm a fan of the Fallkniven S1, F1 & H1 as well. I have the BRKT Bravo 1 in 3V and the BRKT Aurora also in 3V and it is as tough but in more of a bushcraft style. Another knife I find comparable to the Bravo 1 that doesn't get mentioned much in these discussions is the Spyderco Temperance 2. It has better ergos than the Bravo 1 IMO and is tougher than it looks in photos.

Back