Knives when flying.

Some weeks I fly to 5-6 cities in a week for work. I just leave it in the luggage and never had a problem.

I haven't flown in years -- since way before 9/11. When you check a bag at the counter, do you have to leave it unlocked? What's a TSA lock.

It's become more and more difficult to drive from my place to Los Angeles (675-miles) or San Diego (750-miles) in one day (terrible knees and one bad hip) so I've been thinking of flying out of Reno and renting a car in LA.

Checking a couple of knives seem to be the easiest option but then again Plaza Cutlery is only a few miles from our two son's places.

Gonna get on a plane for the first time since 911. Want to pack a fixed and folder in my checked suitcase. Has anyone had their knives missing when they arrive or are the pretty much safe. Should I pack them in a hard guncase and check them separate and claim them at check in? I wasn't planning on packing any customs just some $50.00 factory knives.

Do not have time to read and see if someone else mentioned it yet.

Here is what I do when I fly with anything that might attract attention and wind up in the pocket of some 'concerned' TSA borrower...

I use those ziploc bags that have a white space for writing , use a black magic marker to write the contents on the bag.
for example I would put my folder , MP3 player , LED , any other little gizmos or gadgets in the bag after listing what is in the bag , on the outside of the bag. :D
Inside of each bag is a piece of paper , easy to see that also lists the contents of the bag , down to the brand , make , model , serial number -if applicable- , anything that identifies what you have in each individual ziploc. Write the date and your name on the note as well.

I have never had a single problem , nor has anyone else who has used this method. I have also heard plenty of stories of folks getting thing yoinked right out of their checked luggage and we all know who does the yoinking.... Dont trust 'em.

Good luck , Tostig

I roll them up inside a pair of socks or dirty underwear. Don't take anything valuable but so far everything has made it. If I want custom knives to make it I FEDX it to my destination.
I carry a 4" lockblade folder stuffed deep inside a pair of well-worn running shoes. I use the running shoes for beach activities or to wear between hotel room and pool. So far, the TSA goons have not found the knife. The shoes smell pretty bad, so that probably is a factor (LOL!).

Just got back home today from a week in Canada. I brought a Menefee folder with me back to Ireland. I have lived overseas for 12 of the last 14 years. Never, touch wood, had a knife issue. I put the knife in a sock or underwear, then in a shoe or something similar to protect it. What I do when I have an expensive knife, I send it FedEx or some similar company, insured.
But, there is always an exception, I have had a external hard drive stolen out of my checked luggage, in the USA.

I take the train wherever I go, ever since airport security has become well..... airport security. Train stations have the ability to make sure every last bit of effort is for you, which makes it a much more relaxing trip. Rarely do I ever take the plane anymore. When I do, I just check the bags. I have never had any problem with knives in air travel.

I fly a lot. I try not to check a bag (too much hassle for short trips) but when I do, I put a knife in there and have no issues. TSA searches my checked bag every third or fourth trip. They leave a little slip telling me and usually do a poor job of repacking my stuff, but they never take anything. If I was putting something breakable in there, I would worry more.

:thumbup:
yup they left me a slip a few times. they have not removed my knives or booze.

lava? just curious are they tracking frequent fliers bags or is it random?

OK, how am I the only one to mention zip ties when it was THIS SITE that I learned the trick on? Maybe the guy who originally posted it has left, I don't get it.

Guys, really, its so cheap ez and very effective in ruling out crimes of opportunity. Try it. Zip tie them to the frame of your suitcase. Of course you'll need someonelse's knife to get to yours, after you land :-(

When i fly i just put my folder in a sock and then wrap it up in a pair of boxers. No TSA has decided they want to look through my boxers yet...

In forty years of serious International and local flying I have never lost anything from my checked luggage.

Last year after Blade in Atlanta with MANY knives in my bag the TSA opened my bag to search it.........What bothered them? Almost certainly the big chunk of Micarta I purchased for a sword handle. Everything else was untouched.

We all know that things happen (ask Ken Onion) but when you look at the problems versus the millions who travel it really is a tiny minority.

Then again there was that day they put my 1911 onto the the wrong flight...................:eek: But that is another story......:)

Last edited:
Back from my trip and here is what happened. I decided to pack a custom straight knife ( 4 1/2 inch blade) and three folders two of them assisted openers. I put them in my shaving kit in my checked bag (unlocked). I flew out of Cleveland and every bag that is checked gets xrayed at check in as you wait. I am glad to report no problems and not even a second look. On the way back from Ft. Meyers security was not the same at check in but no problems on the way back either.

Welcome back!
I am glad that you had no problems:thumbup:

unless you can cite an instance,its probably baggage handlers doing a hit and run quick theft of whatever can be grabbed than the tsa folks.

knifes dissappear all the time from checked bags, just ask ken onion about it and a whole bunch of his custom knifes which happen to dissappear on him.

I have read the horror stories about custom knives going missing when flying. It is like anything else nothing is 100% fool proof. I think if you are going to try to fly with expensive knives in your checked luggage you check them like you would a firearm so you can at least lock the case and have a receipt for the bag.

Back