Knives with saws

There are people who like saws on there knives and people who hate them. the only one I have used is the Tom Brown Tracker. It made notches in the wood pretty well, which it was desingned for. Has anyone had experience withe the dave beck version, or the spivey Sabertooth, or even a Lile rambo knife or a Martin? Which maker has the better saw?

I am not sure their design is to cut wood-although they can do that, I think they were designed to saw out of helicopter/plane fuselage when the thing had gone down in the jungle - at least that was what the randal suvival model was designed for.
You may fine a little wire saw is better for chopping wood.

Victorinox.....;)

I guess they are talking about saw backs but yes, you are right. SAK's (Vic or Wenger) have excelent wood saws!

I am also a diver and the serrations on the back of some models are supposed to be used to cut fibrous materials like ropes, nets (if you get tangled) or whatever. The sad truth is that given the crappy steels used in most of those designs, you end up ripping everything you intend to cut. Maybe it is time to give the Spyderco H1 a try...

Mikel

SOG Revolver has an excellent saw

20041005111710_Photo2.jpg

pic8.jpg

Last edited:
Two knives that I'm partial to is my Kershaw 1005 Survival knife for heavy use and for smaller work my old Camillius 5 blade Scout knife. I used the Camillius to make a clean saw cut through a broom handle one time and it looked like I used a full hand saw! Another thing I like about the Camillius Scout is it has a very useful serrated sheepsfoot blade.

My two cents:
Ditch any potential sawback knife and get yourself an actual compact saw OR one of the Victorinox SAKs with a saw.
I have a Vic Rucksack with a sawblade and with the offset teeth, it makes short work of wood or any similar non-metal soft material (especially bread for lunch)...

Back