Knockout vs Blur

Hi guys,
Forgive me if this has been addressed. I would like to hear your opinions of the kershaw blur and knockout. I have done a lot of research and have narrowed it down to these two knives but can't make a decision. Which do you prefer and why? I haven't had the chance to hold the knockout in my hand but have been able to fondle the blur. One question I have for blur owners, do the trac tech inserts tear up your pockets? Seems like they would shred your jeans with frequent use.
Thanks,
Catfish

I think most here will say they prefer the Blur, but I own and have carried both and prefer the Knockout as an EDC.
I like it better for the reasons you stated, the Blur inserts tear up my pocket, and the Knockouts smooth aluminum doesn't.
I like the Knockouts blade shape better too, I find myself using more blade belly rather than the need for the recurve.
Knockout also has a deep carry clip, +1 in my book.

Thanks Crone. The Blur is definitely sexy and is a win for me in the looks category. But, I feel like the knockout has its advantages. Both look like great edc's. decisions decisions.

I vote blur just because it gives you more options in steel, color, etc. If you're concerned about trac-tec, grab one of the carbon fiber or all aluminum spider web versions before they are gone. You get a nice steel upgrade to CPM154 with those models as well. I also like that you can deassist the blur and still have a detent as I greatly prefer mine as a manual. The torsion bar is the only thing holding the blade closed on the knockout. Still, both are absolutely fantastic knives. You really can't go wrong. :thumbup:

I'd take the Knockout for one main reason: FLIPPER!

Not that the sub-framelock isn't pretty awesome too.

I own both. I tend to bring the KO with me during quick trips out the house, slim slick and easy. I edc it to work once in awhile also. I got plenty in my rotation but I try give it action... It may be a little "too slick" though as it lacks any sort of grippines. I've used it several times now for minor food prep like slicing up limes and cheese.

I purchased a CF Blur in CPM-154 and it instantly became one of my go to favorites. I am completely enamored with this knife. So much so that I bought three, kind of silly but it is a limited edition knife and it bothered me to think that soon it wont be available. I can play with it, use it, look at it, it doesn't matter all good. Its very good looking, and the blade profile makes day to day cutting tasks a breeze. Excellent steel, whats not to like. The Ko's clip looks good on the Blur, I might get it tapped like I've seen. Lack of gripiness also applies, but its all good.

I had a TracTec Black Blur and I had no issues with it eating jeans whatsoever. I really liked the grip on it. Would have loved to have kept it but I threw it in to sweeten up a trade.

Dude... Get both, lol.

I prefer the Knockout. It's a flipper and it's a better slicer because it's thinner behind the edge.

Now if the Blur had an actual flipper it would be a toss up, because I like the cutting power of the recurve.

Knockout2.jpg

I'd take the Knockout for one main reason: FLIPPER!

Not that the sub-framelock isn't pretty awesome too.

That sub frame-lock is very cool, executed well, easy to use.

I de-assisted my blur and its confusingly smooth, just doesn't seem right how buttery it is lol.. The assist on the KO is good but I prefer manual, I wish they provided a proper detent, same goes for my Piston. Would have been nice to have the option for those flippers.

I have handled a blur before, all I can say is that the thumb stud isn't too friendly to my thumb and the liner is really thin but other than that it's a great knife. I have a knockout myself and it is almost impossible to close it with one hand, so its not too practical. Its difficult to close with one hand because the subframe-lock is long and therefore my fingers presses against it the whole time I'm trying to close it and the handle is super sleek, no grip, cut myself just trying to close it. Despite all the problems the knockout has with closing one-handed, it's thin blade makes it SUPER good for slicing. Also removed the speedsafe on mine so its easier to close, very weak retention though.

Haven't handled a Knockout, but it does look interesting. The Blur is an awesome knife. It's been one of Kershaw's mainstays for good reason. The TracTec, however, will tear up your pockets and your knuckles (as you reach down into your pocket), and it is tough stuff (doesn't wear down particularly quickly). You can sand it down to smooth it out a bit though. Or, look at one of the models without the TracTec (like the aforementioned carbon fiber and spider web ones).

Thanks for all the input guys. I do prefer a flipper design. That being said, the thumb studs on the Blur are the best I've ever seen imho. I usually don't like thumb studs but with the Blur I could over look the lack of a flipper. I love the lines on the Blur as well. One major concern for me with the knockout is with the deep carry pocket clip and lack of traction, how easy is it to draw the knife? I carry back right pocket and wear blue jeans almost exclusively. Thanks again for all the help.

This is a tough one for me because I have owned both.

I'd say a blur with CPM154 would be a better choice for my EDC needs. The steel holds an edge better that what the knockout uses, and the re-curve cuts materials like a chainsaw. I know some have issues with re-curves because of how it sharpens, but I've never had a problem with it myself.

I recently went through the same debate. I've handled a few Blurs but ultimately ended up choosing the Knockout. I like it so much that it's bumped my Para 2 as my at home EDC.

I had a blur and sold it. The space between the pocket clip and the knife is too thin and I had trouble getting it in and out of some pockets. There also was not enough room for my thumb to disengage the liner lock.

I like the looks of the knockout however, and my try it out at some point.

I'd go either way....But probably depends on which blur too..either way you'll get a winner.

I own both and prefer the Knockout. I really like the big fat blade on it. Of course, as everyone has pointed out, either is a great choice. So get both and relieve yourself of having to make such a tough decision. :D

Back