Koa paring knives

I recently finished a pair of paring knives (see what I did there?! I'll be here all night, folks). These two were a custom order for a client here on BladeForums. The stabilized Koa is quite beautiful, don'tchya think? I recon it is, mmm hmmm. The blade steel is 63HRC 15n20, normalized and cycled, and pre-quenched for a tight aus grain structure. Brass rod flex text prior to sharpening - pass. 25° inclusive edge, Shapton pro 1000. These edges will catch free standing arm hair and sever them! Stupid sharp! Thanks for looking! And "Thank you" to the client!

GXZPyDz.jpg

F7F66zr.jpg

6nQt1hR.jpg

those are awesome! love the choice of materials and heat treat. Ive been using a 15n20 blade @ rc63-64 and the steel is very impressive.

Thanks Tim. Hawaiian Koa is such a beautiful wood. Probably surpasses my love for figured walnut. Although I am a sucker for feather crotch and curly walnut. 15n20 is such an underrated steel. It really does shine when you push it above 60. Very tough, no doubt due to the 2% nickel! I like to take paring knives down to a "zero" edge, then knock them back just enough to establish a "flat" that will reflect light. Sharpening is a cinch, and the performance is great.

Hi, beautiful set. I'm getting in some 15N20 for blades and was wondering if you would be willing to share your HT schedule.

Back