Kobun sheath dulling my blade.

I have a cold steel kobun and the securex sheath is dulling the blade upon drawing it. Pretty badly too, I can get the blade razor sharp and upon sheathing and removing the blade it goes pretty dull. I tries spraying silicone into the sheath but it didn't fix the problem. Any ideas on what I can do?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

These secure ex sheathes seem to do the same every blade from what I hear. Apparently there's a certain way to draw the knife so it doesn't dull the blade. I'm still not happy with that , as i should be able to draw my knife without having to worry if the sheath is gonna dull my edge. I own a srk and a kukri plus

Is it possible to draw it without dragging the edge on the sheath? I don't own a Kobun, but I know that a more intentional draw which purposely moves the edge away from the sheath is all that is needed to fix the problem on some knives.

Otherwise, you might be able to remove some material from the sheath with a small file to give the edge the clearance that it needs.

Said method is you grip the handle of the knife behind the guard , and as you draw the knife you keep the spine up against the back of the sheath , if that makes any sense.

This seems to be universal with the Kobun. Mine does the same thing. Not all CS's Secure-Ex sheaths do this (for example, my 2 PeaceKeepers and Shanghai Shadow are all fine), so I think it's just a matter of whether (or how much) the edges touch the sheath material. As soon as I get another heat gun, I'm gonna just mold some Kydex for my Kobun and be done with it. :thumbup:

My leatherneck tanto is also dulled by the sheath. No matter how careful I am when I put it in or take it out I still get some pretty bad edge deformation.

You would think a "combat" knife would be able to handle being pulled out and put away without special care. But hey, what do I know........

All my other fixed blades could cut a PLASTIC sheath in half without this kind of edge damage.

My friend has had the same problem with the kydex sheath for his Ka-Bar USMC. This has turned me off of any knife that utilizes kydex as a sheath material.

Kydex is great sheath material, not be be confused with glass impregnated nylon sheath material, which seems to dull an edge.

I also bought a Kabar with the nylon sheath which was pure junk & I tossed it in the trash after paying MORE for the crappy sheath option. I got a leather one to replace it with.

Kydex is great sheath material, not be be confused with glass impregnated nylon sheath material, which seems to dull an edge.

I also bought a Kabar with the nylon sheath which was pure junk & I tossed it in the trash after paying MORE for the crappy sheath option. I got a leather one to replace it with.

My mistake. I thought Kydex was the same thing as glass filled nylon.

No worries. I just did not want you to miss out on some great knives, that may come with kydex sheaths.:thumbup:

There is a world of difference between production sheaths made with enough tolerances built in to handle a given knife model that may be produced in great numbers, and a well made custom Concealex or kydex sheath made up for an individual knife.

Back