Koji Hara custom knives?

My memory of his table at the Las Vegas Classic is a little fuzzy thanks to the crud (general sore throat, runny nose, feeling bad, etc.) I apparently picked up there. Anyway, Saturday I went by his table and handled what I believe to be customs from him. Both knives I picked up were over $1k ($1200 and $1400 I think). Sitting on the table they looked mighty nice. When I picked them up I was shocked at what I believed to be inferior quality. The first knife had the liner almost, but not actually, touching the opposite side liner. The second knife had a blade so off center when closed it almost touched the liner, but didn't actually do so. Is this a characteristic of his style or, is there something wrong here?

I mean for this post to be taken in tactful, respectful, and factual way. Please respond in a similar manner as I am looking for knowledge, not personal attacks.

Now, back to the medicine cabinet......
sick.gif

unfortunately, it is not unusual to find this with his knives. Some will be good whereas your experience is another aspect of what you may find.

I've had the pleasure of handling some of his knives and own one. What you're describing was discussed here, several times, a few years ago.

Personally, I've experienced and seen nothing but excellent craftsmanship. . .from Koji.

It's unfortunate that your experience was different. :(

I am sure he is capable of making a high quality knife. I was surprised to see such an expensive knife with these glaring defects. Since my sample size is so small, I later questioned whether my initial assessment was fair, considering that their may be something about the culture that influences the design to bring out these traits. Apparently, my initial assessment is not that far off. That is very surprising for a maker with a reputation such as his, who flies to internation knife shows.

Sid, Are you sure it was Koji's table? I was there Fri and Sat., and while not really price shopping the only knives over $1K I recall were his fixed blades he was taking orders for.
As for quality i can attest to the knife i own. It is one of his abalone folders and it won BEST OF SHOW at Las Vegas in 2002. It is shown on the back of the 2003 show T-shirts. Koji sent me the wooden plaque which he was awarded and some pictures of us at the show. A really great knife collecting experience. The fit and finish are second to none. The snap when the knife locked open clinched the sale. .....Kevin

I was sitting next Koji and Masao Takahashi at the Vegas show there knives were so beautiful, I felt like hiding my knives, my wife bought two of Koji's knives the workmanship was unreal, its hard to find knifemaker's that can do they own engraving! :eek:http://www.hawaiiangrinds.net

I own one folder by Koji Hara, a present from my wife. The quality of workmanship is very high.

The knife employs a separate locking leaf and, on first examination, it appears that the blade is off center because the tip of the blade comes close to the locking leaf when the knife is closed. However, on closer examination, one can see that the blade is actually dead center between the liners when closed.

I wonder if it's this form of construction that gives people the impression that Koji Hara doesn't center his blades consistently?

Koji's designs are fresh and sometimes cutting-edge. His prices are very, very reasonable and he brings an international aura with him that transcends cultures.

I own a Koji interframe and it's a beauty in every regard. I just looked and it's about .005" off of truest center. Barely noticable and nothing touches. It's a pinned interframe so adjustments aren't possible. It is one that gets 'oohhs' and 'aahhhs' any time it's handled.

A buddy of mine has one of his carved trout window folders, and it's stunning. :eek: But..... The damascus blade was etched on the detent's line of travel and it has a 'coarse' opening. We shrugged and wished for better on that one.

Koji is indefatigable in his desire to make good in the American market. He consistently flies over to our shows and has a table full of charms. He is *very* creative and polite and flattered even if you simply stop in to wish him well and get your fingerprints all over his highly polished knives. He has a perpetual smile that is contagious in any language. There is a value in all of that.

Overall I'd rank him a 9.0 on fit, finish and style, and a 10+ on personality. But who's counting.... ;)

Coop

This surprises me. I handled some of his knives at the Paris show and they had outstanding fit and finish.

Originally posted by dsvirsky
The knife employs a separate locking leaf and, on first examination, it appears that the blade is off center because the tip of the blade comes close to the locking leaf when the knife is closed. However, on closer examination, one can see that the blade is actually dead center between the liners when closed.

I wonder if it's this form of construction that gives people the impression that Koji Hara doesn't center his blades consistently?

This is the sort of insight I was looking for. I think that answers one of my two issues in this post.

Originally posted by Sid Post
Is this a characteristic of his style or, is there something wrong here?

So, I think we have solved one perception of mine. I was dragging late Friday, in fact I left the show early and went to sleep around 8PM local I think it was. I felt a little better Saturday but, paid for it Sunday. So, I attribute some of my impression to feeling bad and not being as observant as I should have been. The other knife though, with the liner way past center is still something I attribute to the maker and not poor observation skills on my part.

Originally posted by Blade747
Koji is indefatigable in his desire to make good in the American market. He consistently flies over to our shows and has a table full of charms. He is *very* creative and polite and flattered even if you simply stop in to wish him well and get your fingerprints all over his highly polished knives. He has a perpetual smile that is contagious in any language. There is a value in all of that.

On this there is little doubt. :)

Originally posted by severtecher
Sid, Are you sure it was Koji's table? I was there Fri and Sat., and while not really price shopping the only knives over $1K I recall were his fixed blades he was taking orders for.

Yes, of that there is no doubt. They were really nice and not my style but, they were so nice I just could not resist and picked up two of them for a closer look and feel.

The Japanese makers may make me break my rule about buying a knife I would not carry. I just won't carry a small knife like those folders but, they are just soooo nice to look at and hold. I almost view them as art and not knives. Now I know something must be wrong - time to go see the doctor :)

Back