Koppo and Ti Stick

Well, it is. In a way... I have known about it for some time. Like I told James, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery..."

With two Custom Knifemakers copying the Checkbook Blade, it comes as no surprise that Shomer-Tec would copy something, but hey, there's more. A pattern...

Credit Card Blade Rip-Off, but they have not graduated to the clip and wallet for it yet.
http://www.shomer-tec.com/81.html

And a Rip-Off of the Bandando (Bandana) with a pocket for a weighted load.
http://www.shomer-tec.com/58.html

As far as the Koppo Stick is concerned, specifically, I am the one that Photocopied a few pages out of Hatsumi Sensei's (excellent) Book, "Stickfighting."

The Koppo is an Ancient Hand Weapon. I liked it, I thought it would make an excellent Self-defense Weapon and had James make me one, and I have the original and a couple others.

I don't think you can "Rip-Off" something that is hundreds, if not thousands, of years old.

However, looking at the other two items, it is pretty obvious that someone there at Shomer-Tec has done a search for neat stuff, OR, they are not guilty and someone else has given them neat ideas and they have started producing these things.

Maybe I should buy the Shomer-Tec "Ti-Bop" and take a look at the particular design of it.

------------------
Usual Suspect & E-Psycho Magnet.
Coming soon from Event Horizon Industries! The Japan Dojo Master Custom Ginsu! Special Discount Price! Just for you...

[This message has been edited by Don Rearic (edited 06-23-2001).]

I got one of the Ti-Bops you mention. I find it a bit thicker in profile than the JSP version, making it a better fist load. This is mitigated by the knurling which can cut into your palm and fingers, although it has "cheese-grater" applications once you've slapped somebody with it.

It's a little short although it hides better in the hand than the JSP version. The loop can be worn over one or two fingers. However, for extended practice, one finger is preferable because the shock cord (not paracord) loop will cut off circulation. JSP's sockets are countersunk and smoothly finished; the Ti-Bop's aren't and you've got big knots hanging out the bottom which again may be uncomfortable when held in the fist.

In other words, ya get what ya pay for. Heinlein said it best, though: TANSTAAFL.

I learned the hard way a long time ago, I don't even really punch anymore. So that is not really a plus for me.

I think it is pretty clear that someone is feeding them ideas or they are actively searching them out on their own.

Just another Xerox Machine, nothing new about that.

I guess if their "Ti-Bop" comes out in a keychain version in the next catalog or two...we'll know what the deal is.

Keep in mind that you couldn't buy the unfinished ti alone that cheap. Not unless you bought it cheaper that I can find it for sale. It may be a poor grade of ti also?

It's not easy but you could counter sink the knot holes yourself.

For that matter you could drill a hole for a split ring or any other cordage. $19.00 is a steal for a piece of ti that you could make into many things, I think. You could shorten it up and make a flail even.

Thanks for the heads up.

Justin if you read this post you know that I still have not found "cheap" ti for the ENHANCER project. I have not forgotten about it. I could also fix your knot problem.

------------------
Later, Jim

[This message has been edited by KNIFE THROWER (edited 06-28-2001).]

Jim: Thanks for letting me know about the enhancer. Maybe aluminum would be a better choice if it's more available.

As to the Ti-Bop, given the knurling & how abrasive it is, it's unlikely I'd ever carry or use the thing--I could see it doing as much or more damage to my palm as to the BG. I was simply curious about it & the price was right. If I had it to do over again, I'd get 3 spare Stingers instead--I keep running into people who want to buy 'em, or family members who I think could use 'em!

Jim:

E-mail sent. Given all the goodies being discussed around here lately, can't wait!

Back